Little People Talk

7th July 2009

There is nothing better in my eyes, than listening to little people talk, especially amongst themselves. Its always hilarious, uncompromised and so unjaded that its shocking to think I was once like that. Its not only what they say that amuses me but the way they say it. With their lisps and mispronounciations, you just wish you could keep a video camera on them at all times (in a non- J+K+8 sort of way).

My little lady has started impersonating and repeating everything her older brother says, and she waits for just the right moment to share it with us. She has impeccable timing – as does her counterpart. We were sitting down having our dinner a couple nights ago, and my 2 year old looked at me and said,

“Mommy, you da bess cook. Mommy, you da bess mommy in da ho why whirl’d”.

It was exactly what the little man says whenever he’s in trouble. He looks at me with his huge doe eyes, and says the same thing with the same accent and the same lisp, and follows it up with the toothiest grin he can muster. It was hilarious to see her do the same thing, except in an absolutely genuine way.

My husband thinks we should always correct the little bits of their language that are still growing and changing, but I don’t want to. I want them to sound their age, and I don’t care if that’s selfish. I’m all for correcting grammar, and am a crazy lady when it comes to being polite, but do I really have to make my baby say THE instead of DA?? I still can’t get over the fact that my kids can dress themselves, let alone talk my ear off  –  non-stop – ALL DAY LONG.

I love their mispronounciations. Here are some of my favorites that my kids say:

• CHOCKWET – chocolate
  • NECKWUSS – necklace
  • BRACEKET – bracelet
  • SHORT – shirt
  • QUIP – clip
  • DUHLEE – dirty
  • FUNDER AN WHITENING – thunder and lightning

Of course I can’t possibly list them all or do it justice – you need the little people saying it to truly appreciate its sugary goodness. What are some of the funny things your kids say or mispronounce? Feel free to share some of your favorites with me.

0 thoughts on “Little People Talk

1. Loukia

Aww! Really, it is the cutest thing ever to hear little children talk – especially with their little lisps and accents and bad grammar! So cute! Love the list of words you shared with us. I especially like Navilla and foofries. So cute!

2. Sandy

Ok, I’m going to get all egg-headed and scholarly on you. You can reassure your husband that there is actually no need to correct your children. Their mispronunciations are actually linguistically correct and a normal part of development. Also, research shows that talking to your kids using these cute words back to them, or using “babytalk” actually stimulates the language center of their brain and lets them know you are engaged with them. So there! (and I’m an English prof, so I knowz what I’m talkin bout)

3. KendallJaye

My all time fave was See-low (cereal). But I remember my brothers distorting language more than my kiddo. Here are some jems:
    Tee-tah Claws = Santa Claus
    Beed Ferder = Bird Feeder
    Hyper-velinate = Hyperventilate
    Pisticatto = Pistachio

1. maria

That’s so cute! My youngest says – SEEYO for cereal and SUNTA for santa. Oh, and BORD is bird. I LOVE BEED FERDER – hysterical!

4. nicole

Hawkahopter=helicopter

This is my favorite from my kids. They also made up a word. “hiddle” is the space immediately to the left or right of the middle.

5. smothermother

I really should sit down and write the funny little things that my little guy says. I can’t think of them off the top of my head. I need to think to write them when he says them. His latest one is “all wetty” for things that are wet.

6. Naomi Tripi

I love the baby talk too, but I get a special delight when out of the blue my little guy will just throw out something perfectly pronounced. Like, he might be asking me for “joosh” (juice) and say “pweese” (please) but then when I hand it to him he suddenly says in perfect English “Thank you, you’re welcome” (he likes to say my response for me). Maybe it’s just me but that really gives me the warm fuzzies.

1. maria

My 2yo daughter always says, “PWEESE an FANK YOU”, even when she’s angry. As long as they’re polite, its fine by me!

1. maria

As I was writing the post, I just couldn’t remember all the little sayings they have, and I was kicking myself for not having written them down. I’ll have to reference all their videos!

7. Elaine

My G is in this same stage and his toddler speak is especially cute to me because his older brother spoke perfectly from the very beginning. No toddler talk at all. I’m not kidding. Anyway here, are few…

BESS YOU! (after sneezing)
    EFAN – (our good friends’ son is Ethan)
    PEAS! (please)

8. Pingback: Mommy Blog Hopping : Babylune - Adventures in post-partum recovery.