Old Lady Birthday Wish List

20th July 2009

Warning: This soon-to-be Birthday Girl is HALLUCINATING

My birthday is coming up this week, and I’m not sure how I feel about it. It’s going to be the first one I celebrate after reaching my scary age last year (35), and yes, I use the term “celebrate” lightly. If I don’t make my own cake I don’t get one, and my little people find the cake aspect of a birthday, the most thrilling. Hence, the cake is IN! I usually have big plans in my head, but in the end it ends up being a dinner out and/or a movie with the dude. In my pre-baby days, we would go away on my birthday – theatre in Toronto, shopping in Syracuse, museums in Ottawa. But these days, dragging the little people out-of-town just for my birthday, takes too much effort; so home it is. But just think of it this way, I tell myself, closer to home means more money for some fabulous gifts for myself (yes this is where the hallucinating begins). And so without further ado – I give you my 2009 Birthday List.

Mini Starbucks Card with Keychain:starbucks

Starbucks is a weakness of mine – I go often (daily). There are 5 locations in town, and they all know my drink the minute they see me. In fact, often its already made for me before I get to the front of the line to pay for it. I saw this at the store a couple of days ago and thought it was so cute – Starbucks gift card in Barbie size – YES please!

Marley & Me DVD:

I saw this movie in the theatre, and wasn’t too sure what to expect, because I had not read the book. However, I loved this movie – thought it was great. I laughed, I cried, I was generally moved. Delightfully crazy dog. Yes, I could watch it again, so here he is on my list.

Flip Ultra Video:flip

I’m all about compact products these days – with all the stuff already taking up every corner of my home, its a necessity. I want one of these because I’m always missing the action. By the time I lug my huge video camera out (it takes tapes people), the moment is lost. This beauty I can carry in my handbag, and delight in its pretty colors and usefulness. Hope the man is taking notes.

Cuisinart Waffle Maker:

We used to have a waffle maker. It was this clunky one that we got for a wedding present from a very generous (read: CHEAP) wedding guest. It was impossible to clean, and made a terrible waffle, and being fed up with it one day, I threw it in the garbage (I’m NOTHING if not dramatic!) So a wafflemaker is on the list. I really want it so that I can make my little people some delightful waffles that don’t require a toaster.

Clarisonic Skin Care Brush:clarisonic

Babies and the subsequent crazy hormone issues I now have, have not been kind to this old lady’s skin, so I really want one of these beauties. I saw it on Oprah on one of her Christmas shows (you know the one – you want to be there, but you can’t be, so you hate everyone who is, and you cry at all the crap you will never have your hands on.) Familiar? No? OK then. Anywho, my pores need this brush.

BODYBUGG:

As you may know by now, I need to get my body back to pre-baby form, and its going to take nothing short of a miracle (Translation: proper diet and exercise). So, I would love a little help with that and BODYBUGG is the answer for me. It’s that little gadget that is seen on all those contestants on The Biggest Loser. It will tell me how many calories I’m burning while I sit on my butt and Twitter. This is a DEFINITE necessity.

COACH MAGGIE Handbag:maggie

I’m a stay-at-home mom – don’t I deserve pretty accessories?? I think so too, so I am putting this lovely on my list because I know no matter what I say or do, I will not actually get this for my birthday. My husband doesn’t understand the importance of a hot handbag. But every time I stare at it, I will be reminded of the gift I would have received had I married into the Coach family. Does the Coach family have some cute, maybe GREEK heirs? Does anyone in the Coach family need their cars washed? I’m sure I could hire someone to get that done for you, Coach people.

AND FINALLY, THE ONE THING THAT I HAVE WANTED FROM THE MOMENT I LAID MY EYES ON IT. (No, no that MACBOOK I also want but who’s kidding who) – ITS THE:

AMAZON KINDLE:

The Amazon Kindle – the most delightful creation of our time (in my own head – but yes it is). I want this thing so bad that I am willing to do anything to get it. Well, if anything means saying pretty please a few times, and jumping up and down like a crazy person, then yes I will do THAT! I will shine your shoes, and make you a lovely bean salad, and clean my kitchen for a Kindle. I will babysit your dog, and sweep up the hail and eat some celery for a KINDLE. I will even consider, but cannot guarantee, that I would attempt to kill the next centipede I ran into, if I got a KINDLE (yeah, no guarantees on this one). kindleI’m not one to ask for things, the thought of it kind of embarrasses me, but I am willing to go to my shameful self if that meant I would get a KINDLE. Is this working yet? Am I too old to ask my dad to buy it for me? That’s sad right? The funny thing is – he would totally buy it for me. I sound like I’m twelve. I miss being twelve. The hardest thing about being twelve was which lollipop to lick first. Boo. Birthdays suck. Holy Crap I am freakin’ old.

Leave your convincing arguments in my comments – work with me people! I need your help. I also really like to read your comments, so feel free to indulge me. It is my birthday after all.

0 thoughts on “Old Lady Birthday Wish List

1. nicole

I’m not sure about the Kindle. I love books. Plus, I read sitting down most of the time. I guess it would be nice if I traveled a lot.

My birthday is next month (30!) and I have already composed and posted one wish list, but there are probably more to come.

I want an iPod that I can use just for audiobooks. People keep telling me it is the best way to forget you are running while actually running, so I want to try it. But I don’t want to take all my music off my iPod. What a dilemma.

That bag is gorgeous. Good luck!

2. Gina Deeming

Nice that you included links! Even better that you posted the WEEK BEFORE!!

I’d never read a shopping/wish list – but enjoy your humor enough to do so!

I’m gonna go check that flip video out…

3. CL

love the list. the purse rocks, love the SB keychain, as for the waffle maker- I have the PC one (round of course) and I love it (easy to clean, and the waffles always come out great). The buttermilk waffle mix at Costco is one of the best ones I’ve found. Hope you have a great birthday and you get the things you want most!
    Cheers

4. consuelo bernardi

love the post….you have good taste woman….i knew I liked you for a reason…i’m going to do this wish list for my birthday and any other ‘required’ to buy me a gift holiday 😉

and BTW…..30s are the new 20s according to Oprah so really you are only 26.

5. Mom2Miles

Happy early birthday! I had my 35th a month ago & it sucked. I couldn’t even come up with one thing I wanted except TIME OFF. Good for you for coming up w/ a list of stuff for yourself. (Except the waffle maker I guess!) I love my Flip camera. Hope you get all you desire/deserve!

6. Cynthia

The kindle is a must. I recently read that the more we stay engaged the less likely we are to get Alzheimers!

I’ll be getting one too. Turning 40 next week:)

7. ilinap

Your list is eerily close to mine. What I love is that all the stuff will fit so handsomely in that lovely Coach bag! If I had to prioritize, I’d go for the bag and the Kindle.

8. hintonrae

Okay, Maria–my 35th is in January, and since I usually end up with a little extra money to pay down the credit card with, I am definitely posting a bday wish list this year for my husband to take note of. What a great idea. Unless he’s just completely oblivious, that is.

I love all of your ideas, but since I did just buy one off of Ebay for myself, I would have to recommend the Kindle most strongly. I FREAKING LOVE MY KINDLE. I had a tough time deciding to make the transition from books to ebook (just like film to digital), but it was not actually difficult AT ALL to fall in love with the device. It’s just super nifty. Points in favor: most books are 20% off cover, and new bestsellers are 9.99. (That’s U.S.–not sure what Canadian price is.) Download is instantaneous, and everywhere! You can annotate your books. You can ask your Kindle questions. You can download content from your computer. And loads more. Love love love it. Get that and the Starbucks card, and enjoy a cuppa coffee (low-fat, of course) whilst you read.

Enjoy your bday.

Lori

9. smothermother

i’m glad at least one of your readers is older than you are like me. i don’t feel so ancient now! 😉

still undecided about the kindle. but it would be nice not to have to hold giant books while in bed and have them bonk me on the head when i fall asleep.

my bday is coming up. don’t know if i will write up a wish list. might just depress me that i will never get anything on it. *sigh*

10. Loukia

You’re so cute, I love your list! I don’t get the Kindle – like, you read books through your phone or something? Or online? I can’t deal with that… I need paper in my hands when I’m reading!
    As for the Starbucks gift card, if I had known this before I left Kingston, I would have treated you to that for sure, at least! Now when you come to Ottawa, I’ll have to take you shopping so you can get your Coach purse. You deserve it, and I will see to it that you get it! 🙂

11. Jacki

I’m with you on the Starbucks card, perhaps I can add it to my upcoming birthday as well. I was checking out last week and the clerk was pitching some sort of edible but I was completely distracted with the mini card, thankfully he was pretty swell and he commented with a “it’s so cute isn’t it?!?!”.

I wish the Coach would drop in my lap but I think I’m going to have to settle for a Sephora gift card this year…

12. Half Assed Housewife

Happy Early Birthday. Hope your husband reads your blog. Then he will have no excuse not to get it right.

The last few years my birthday has really stunk. This year I was just happy to be able to bum around the house with the kids and no crisis to attend to.

1. maria

I ended up getting the starbucks card, the movie, the waffle maker and the flip video and a couple of things not on the list. I didn’t get the Kindle, because it looks like it can’t be used in Canada yet. The coach bag – I’ll have to get that on my own – my hubby cannot appreciate the importance of a good handbag!