Mr. Grade One

1st September 2009

Today is the day I’ve been dreading a LONG time – my five year old is starting grade one. This means he is at school, full day, including lunch. He will be away from me everyday for 6.5 hours. I probably sound slightly pathetic, but I don’t really care. My little man will be away from my crazy grasp for SIX and a HALF hours everyday – ME NO LIKEY.

nikogradeone2

When we were driving to school – he said he was excited, but as we walked to the school grounds, he clung to me like crazy. He would not let go of my hand to even say hi to his little buddies that he hasn’t seen all summer. He met his new teacher, and stood in line waiting to go into his classroom with his new first day outfit, and it took everything in me not to burst into tears, while I watched him from afar. My little man, who changed my life in the most profound way, is experiencing his own new changes today, and I am blessed and proud and absolutely thrilled for him.

But I’m not going to lie, I may need to be heavily medicated the entire time he’s gone, so that I can play it cool when I pick him up. Dear Starbucks, prepare the latte IV – I am on my way.

nikogradeone

0 thoughts on “Mr. Grade One

1. Shannon

Aww Maria, you have a handsome little man there! Hope he has a great 1st day of school, oh and hang in there Mom, it gets easier! 🙂
    HUGS
    Shannon

2. Brenda (@ottawamom)

I feel your pain. I too sent my little guy off to Gr.1 this morning. In fact I was so worked up about it, my husband walked him to school. But I have since picked him up at lunch brought him home and now he is back for the afternoon. Seems I was a lot mire worried then him and he is having a good first day!

Hope your son has happy stories to tell you about his first day, when you see him this afternoon:)

3. Jennifer

Boo for kids who have to leave their Mama! I have a 3rd grade girl, 2nd grade boy and a 9 month old…I may have to home school him 🙂 ((Hugs)) Hope he LOVES it!

4. Elaine

Does it make you feel any better than mine is gone for a little over 7 hours? No? Okay, I tried.

He’s adorable and he’s gonna do great. Hope you’re both having a good day… Hugs!

5. Loukia

He is beautiful, and I love the pictures. I’m actually teary-eyed over this post and for you, because I know how you feel. I know how scary this is! Mine is only starting kindergarten soon and I’m worried silly. It’s totally understandable and you sound completely normal to me. Good luck getting through today! I bet he’ll have a lot of stories to tell you when you pick him up after school! Awww… our children grow too fast, don’t you think?

6. Tara (BoutiqueKarma)

I hear you lady! My 3 year old went to preschool for the first time today. It was heart wrenching when she realized I was leaving. I almost shed a tear.
    mind you – she was only gone for 2 hours, but I felt anxious the whole time 🙂

BTW: He looks sooooo cute!!!

7. LZ

Look at the handsome little dude! What a cutie! He looks so cool, calm and collected. I bet the girlies were chasing him around at recess! It will get easier for you – I hope!

8. Allyson/@HBMomof2

Great photos and even if he was terrified, he looked good! I feel your pain. We don’t start for a couple more weeks, but I will be going through the very same thing with my oldest. I can’t imagine my day without her. Good luck.

1. Maria

It went well, but he didn’t eat any of his lunch so he was starving at 3:30. He doesn’t want to stay for lunch tomorrow either. Sort of complicates things since I don’t live close, but I’ll have to figure something out. Thanks for asking!!

9. Chantel

Cutie Patootie! I’m glad you survived the first day. My daughter went into 1st grade too. Yesterday. As I walked her to class it felt like I had just dropped her off in her Kindergarten class.

Do they give the kids a snack? I remember my kids socializing so much during school that they didn’t eat their lunch. Hopefully the tummy rumbling will take over and he’ll eat. 🙂

Each day will get easier. It has too. Or I’ll be right behind you in line for that Starbucks IV drip.

xoxo

10. Diane

He is so handsome and grown up!!!!!!! I know I had a hard time letting go for jk/sk and grade 1 now she is in grade 6 . Yikes where did that time go !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Enjoy your time!!!!!!!!!