Our Family Vacay – Washington D.C.

8th September 2009

We just recently went to D.C. as a family to see the sights and more importantly, to visit with my brother and his family. It was the best trip we’ve taken as a family of four, although truth be told, we don’t take many week-long trips. Its usually day trips and over-nighters that are close to home. So this was definitely a special treat for the little people, and for the old crotchety ones too.

Our plan was to leave on Sunday 6 a.m. and it almost happened – until I realized that Starbucks doesn’t open until 7 a.m., and I’m sorry but there was NO WAY I was heading off on a 8+ hour trip without my latte. So AFTER I GOT MY LATTE, off we went, and 10 hours, 1 gas break, 1 food break, and 4 pee breaks later, we had reached our destination – my brother’s house. We were so fortunate that we were able to stay with my family – it gave our kids a chance to play and get to know each other, and it gave me a chance to hang with my sista-in-law (and brother), which I really haven’t had a chance to do, other than for small periods of time.

So what did we do while we were there?? We did as the tourists do – we saw the monuments, we went to several museums and we SHOPPED!!! Yes, I got my love of shopping (for myself) back baby! All it took was a visit to the outlet mall and a new Coach Handbag!! Hello NEW BEST FRIEND:

IMG00210

So, what did we get to see?

TONS OF MUSEUMS:

• The Capitol Building
  • The Carousel on the Mall
  • The NGA Sculpture Garden
  • The Vietnam Veterans Memorial
  • Arlington National CemetaryIMG_3108
  • The Pentagon

Different cities in the Maryland/Virginia/D.C. area:

• Silver Spring, Falls Church
  • Georgetown
  • Arlington, Alexandria, Leesburg

SHOPPING!!!

• Leesburg Premium Outlets (I WANT TO GO TO THERE!)
  • Tysons Mall
  • TARGET!!!

Some highlights (for the adults):

• As you may be able to tell from my above list, we are museum people, so we hit as many as we could (all part of the Smithsonian) and we loved every single one that we saw.
  • The Lincoln Memorial was unbelievable
  • My kids being photographed with hunkalicious sailors was a lovely plus.
  • The Vietnam War Memorial and Arlington Cemetery were jarring to say the least, yet important to see
  • The architecture and the city was beautiful. IMG_2994
  • The SHOPPING was FANTASTIC!

Some highlights (from the kid’s point of view):

• Hanging out with their cousins
  • Seeing C3PO was fab for the little Star Wars fanatic.
  • They loved seeing all the fish (especially Dorie & Nemo) at the aquarium.
  • My son couldn’t believe his good fortune when we saw a LEGO store.
  • The Air & Space Museum
  • All the kid interactive areas that we saw at several of the museums

It was an amazing trip, and I would recommend it as a family destination to anyone and everyone. However, if you do go, please…..take me with you. I WANT TO GO TO THERE.

OH….ONE MORE THING:

We would like to thank our lovely hosts for a great week – thank you for not getting smelly until the end of our trip:

THANKS SAMMY!!

IMG_3342

AND THANK YOU SKIPPY!

IMG_3341

0 thoughts on “Our Family Vacay – Washington D.C.

1. Loukia

So glad you had such a great time, Maria! Wish my trip was longer, as we would have done more sight-seeing, but we plan on going every year – my boys loved it so much, too! I miss living there. Truly, I’d move there if I found the right job. And if I could convince my parents to come with us! 😉 So happy for your new purse purchase!

2. Lady Mama

Okay you’ve convinced me – I need to go to DC for a visit. My kids just need to be old enough to sit still on a plane first – so in, twelve years? Love the bag.

3. Shannon @ Anchormommy

That sounds like an absolute blast! How lucky you are to have family in such a cool city! And I just have to ask — how did your kids do in the car, and do you have any roadtripping advice? My boy does great during 2 hour trips, but I’m a little intimidated by the length of our upcoming car ride, to say the least. The bag is beautiful!

4. Sandy

I LOVE the picture of your daughter next to the giant eraser. I haven’t seen one of those things (the regular size version!) in YEARS. Looks like it’s going to run her right over! Lol.

1. Maria

I did but my fairy godmother @Messponential actually did all the work – if you need help doing some work – she’s the one to talk to. You likey???

5. Diana

Oh, I am so jealous! but I hate to say, it was C3-PO that pushed me over the jealousy edge! Can you photoshop me in that pic?! 8^P
    P.S. you rock!

6. Elaine

Wow, I am totally impressed with how many things you did and saw while you were there and with two small children in tow! Seriously. Glad it was a great trip. : )

7. Chantel

You guys were busy, busy, busy! So glad everyone had fun. 🙂 You visited places I still haven’t seen I’m lived here my whole life.

I <3 that Coach bag. Aren't the outlets here great? Only thing missing was a pic of you and I meeting and getting our Starbux on! Next time for sure! 🙂

8. LZ

This looks like a such a fun trip! Thanks for the ideas…I have never been to Arlington National Cemetary, and must go this time around. I hope I see the hunky sailors…I’ll tell them you said hi.

9. Jessica - This is Worthwhile

We recently drove to Kansas City (a 12 hour drive, broken up by a stop over at my MIL’s house in Tulsa half way there). It was pretty cool, I have to say. There’s something to be said about just chillin’ in the car.

I’m glad you had fun!! I wish your brother lived in Austin, though.

10. Nicolle B.

How fun! I love the DC area. I LOVE the Smithsonian Art Museum. Psst*I have the same Coach bag just dark red. Glad you had a good time. Sounds like you were VERY busy.

11. Pingback: Our Family Vacay – Washington D.C. | Washington Travel - Culture and Recreation

12. Pingback: Weekend Update « Bored Mommy

13. sugarmamabakingco

I live here in DC and you make it sound like a place I want to be! 🙂 Which is hard! 🙂 It is always nice to be reminded of the nice things this place has to offer…next time make sure and come to Del Ray and Old Town Alexandria…those are some great places just across the Potomac.

14. Sarah

Sounds like a great trip – I can’t believe you were able to squeeze all of that in to a week! I haven’t been to DC since I was 8, would love to take my kids.

Great bag too!