Music….makes my little people….come together

5th November 2009

My little people LOVE music. Love it. But they’re not fans of “kid’s music” – they love the good stuff. Here’s a sampling of sometheir favorites.

ABBA:

ABBA is big right now – you may or may not have seen their videos of them singing here and here. They are big fans of the Mamma Mia soundtrack, with Our Last Summer and Money, Money, Money being their first choices, although they really enjoy the entire album.

Kelly Clarkson:

They really love the new cd, with I Do Not Hook Up being their favorite song. Its really funny to hear a three year old singing, “Oh Sweetheart, put the bottle down. You’ve got too much talent”. Except when she sings it, it sounds more like, “Oh Sweettart, put the ball low down. You gots too much tawent.”

Madonna:

Our family loves us some Madonna. We have set up our iPods to play in the kitchen, and we frequently put on our latest favorite really loud and just dance around. Madonna is big for us because her songs “last a long time” according to my five year old son. Although we adore her new song, Celebration, the big winner and a favorite to sing to is Hung Up. My son loves it. My son’s favorite line in this one is, “Every little thing that you say or do, I’m hung up, I’m hung up on you.” His version? “Evewy little fing that you say or do, I’m hung up, I’m hunging up on you.”

This Little Light of Mine

Who doesn’t adore this song? My daughter sings this to herself all the time. I heard her singing it to herself the other night while she was in her new big girl bed, and my heart melted. If she sees you looking at her when she’s singing, she gets all bashful, and covers her face with her hands. Its beyond adorable.

George Harrison

Yup, they adore his voice. They first discovered Here Comes the Sun when they saw the Bee Movie for the first time. When their daddy played the George Harrison version, they immediately recognized it, and have asked to hear it again and again ever since.

The Beatles

When my son was first born, my husband who is an avid Beatles fan, would play their music while holding our baby in his arms. He did this for years – and my son LOVES the Beatles because of it. I have videos of him singing Hey Jude like a little pro, complete with the little people lisp that we all adore. In fact for years, and even today, whenever we hear a Beatles song in a store or on the radio whether its a remake or not, he immediately recognizes it, and yells out, “Hey, that’s the Beatles!”

It’s funny, but this favorites list could go on and on, and I really love that. I love that they appreciate music and the joys of just letting loose and dancing around all silly and having a blast while doing it. I challenge you to put on some music when you are feeling completely defeated, exhausted and/or pissed off, and just dance around with the little people and you will feel so much better in the end. Its good for the booty too.

I would love to hear what some of your kid’s favorites are too!

29 thoughts on “Music….makes my little people….come together

1. Jessica

We are a family who loves music although our leanings are more towards pop punk and the Beastie Boys as well as the occasional 80’s. The other day the only way I could get my daughter to stop crying in the car was to sing a very bad version of Push It ala Salt an Peppa from the 80’s.

We don’t have too much singing going on yet since the princess is not talking much but Old Macdonald is a favorite of the prince since he just learned it at preschool.

We also dance around like crazy in the kitchen. Nice to know we aren’t the only ones.

2. Elaine

G loves This Little Light of Mine too – they could do an awesome duet!

My kids need to be exposed to Abba, guess I need to download some.

And yes, “my life would SUCK without you” has been heard in our car a few times. Kelly, Kelly, Kelly…

3. Pres. Kathy

My little guy loves music. We listen to a lot of Greek music here. Yiayia taught him how to dance on the table! 🙂 One day when I came downstairs from putting laundry away, Niko was on the table dancing. When he saw me. he immediately put his leg up and said “OPA!” I had to leave the room because I was laughing so hard. We have a Greek dancer in our midst!!

4. Cheryl

I think it is so awesome that they are so into music. My kids love all music too. It is too funny sometimes when all of a sudden I realize what they are singing… my kids don’t know too much ABBA. I’ll have to change that!

5. Sarah

Awesome! Your kids have good taste! Here Comes the Sun is one of my all-time favourite songs!

Q has become quite the little dancer – he has started to side-step (not sure where he learned that). His favourite song is “Jump, Jump” by Kriss Kross (probably ’cause he can jump now). There is a lot of old school hip hop and reggae played in our house. Although, the other day he did break it down to Billy Joel.

6. Lisa

Your kids have great taste 🙂 My daughter just loves music. We often play music while we are eating dinner and she’ll all of a sudden bust a move while eating her chicken and peas. It is so cute. Music is great for relaxing kids, getting them to move, and sparking their creativity (great for moms too!)

7. Taylor

My daughter’s favorite song is that annoying “Education Connection” jingle. She’ll stop whatever she’s doing and run to the TV when it comes on. Anything else she could care less about- adult or kiddie music not withstanding.

8. LizzB (@hereslizz)

My kids also love the Beatles.

My oldest is a metalhead though. Metallica, Ozzy, Sabbath, Guns N Roses, etc.

And since you visit my blog, I know that you know my middle boy’s obsession with Michael Jackson. I’m taking him to see This Is It tomorrow. He’s SO excited!

9. notyouraveragesinglemomma

Awesome!! My PIT has quite the taste in music as well! Nothing cuter than her singing Janis Joplin at the top of her lungs in the shower!

Great post!!

10. Pingback: uberVU - social comments

11. Aly

My kids like listening to Green Day Kieran loves When September comes), My Chemical Romance (Kieran loves The Black Parade), Biffy Clyro and other stuff I like.They like to sing Abba’s Mama Mia because that’s the name of our youngest and Fernando.We like to having ‘jamming’ sessions where we get musical instruments or anything that makes a noise to play along with the music as well as dancing in most stupidest fashion.

12. Denise Nielsen

Love it – my daughters (8 & 6) are both Abba fans too and are coming with me to see Mamma Mia in January at the NAC. My 7 yr old son rolls his eyes at that but is a Beatles fan. Music is how I get three kids under 10 out the door on time for the bus every day – we put the morning playlist on: 45 mins of music with the last song always being REM’s End Of THe World, and when that starts to beat out, man, they better start to get shoes & coats on and get out the door before it ends. Works like a charm.

13. Cara

Your kids are seriously the best, Maria. We don’t do kiddy music at all here. Claire is just now starting to get into music & loves to dance to anything pop. We’re really having to watch what we listen to, especially in the car, because she’s started to listen intently & repeat phrases. A few days ago we were driving & Jordin Sparks “Battlefield” was on & during a quiet spot she said “it IS a battlefield, mom!”

14. Lady Mama

That’s because your kids are cool! I love that they like the good stuff. I hope my kids will too – to be honest we don’t play a lot of kid music at home, more often it’s just whatever me and my husband listen to.

15. Shannon @ Anchormommy

I love it! There is nothing cuter than when kids try to sing lyrics to “big kid” music!!

I thought my husband and I were a little obsessive over U2 (relates back to the start of our relationship in college), but our boy is absolutely MAD about them. He likes “Vertigo”, “Beautiful Day” and especially “Elevation.” About 300 times a day, he sings “Mole now! Diggin! Ex-ca-bation!” But we also listen to a lot of local indie bands, like REvolt REvolt or Finn Riggins. And Kellan’s not begging to watch a U2 concert video, he’s trying to convince my husband and I that we are all members of Finn Riggins and have to get on stage for a show. I swear, half my life is spent managing the instruments in our house and the playlist on the computer.

16. Sandy

You have fantastic taste in music! I refuse to introduce Oscar to “kid” music. He can listen to what we listen too! I mean, it’s not like we listen to heavy metal death punk. Who doesn’t love the Beatles? MUCH better than some of the crap I hear playing at the toy store.

17. Jodee

My kids love music too and they are like yours they don’t just like kids music they like ALL music. Boo will start dancing if she hears music playing it’s so cute.

18. LZ

So cute – I love those videos of your kids singing!
    My kids love Laurie Berkner, but not huge fans of other kids’ music – well, except the Backyardigans.

For some weird reason, they both love the song that goes “Apple Bottom jeans…boots with the fur…” They just love to dance to it, and M also likes Beyonce’s Single Ladies.

19. becca

My kids love love love music. And I’m so happy it’s past just the Wiggles and Imagination Movers (which made me want to put my head through the wall). My 4yo loves Katy Perry “hot and cold” and Fergie’s “big Girls Don’t Cry”. She also loves the Frey and Matt Nathanson (good taste right?). My 18 mo pretty much gets down to anything but he bops his head back and forth fastest in the car to Nickleback. Your kids have classic taste!

20. Jessica - This is Worthwhile

Hollis LOVES Lady Gaga. And Cajun music. And, well, Tejano music, too. There are even some classical pieces that get him snapping his fingers and dancing. The only common thread I can find in any of these is there is a well defined bass-line and it doesn’t necessarily have to be bass-originated, just a consistent thumping/blaring beat. The boy’s got rhythm at 2 years old!

21. Elisa

LOL – don’t you love it when they recognize singers and groups? I have been schooling the girls on the pleasures of No Doubt and Gwen Stefani, and they are now way more addicted than I am 😉

22. Natalie

Hi there! Saw your comment on Momalom and loved it

“I feel like today my son is my medal. That I’ve been given this opportunity to raise and guide this soul.”

So true!

My kids freaking love Abba. Love it. I have Mamma Mia! on the DVR so I can turn it on any time. They are immediately enthralled. Dora, Blue, and Olivia can take a dump for all they care.