Dear John, I use to salivate over you. Love my teen aged, delusional self. xoxo

10th March 2010

Today, I was thinking about back in the day, when I was young and all about cute boys and movie stars. I was sleeping in a bedroom plastered with posters of all the heartthrobs of the moment. There were SO many that were perfect to stare at – too many to list. But there was one that I was particularly fond of (read: obsessed with). I adored Duran Duran back then – I remember buying up all the teen magazines, and cutting out their pics, so I could plaster them all over the wall. And my absolute favorite?

John Taylor from Duran Duran

He was it for me back then, when I was a delusional 15 year old. I had every album, knew every word, although none of that really mattered. All I cared about was that he was super cute, and he wore eyeliner – VERY HOT!

What else matters when you’re a teenager? Nothing.

I looked it up today and I can’t believe it but John Taylor is going to be 50 this year. 50! I’m not going to lie – that is beyond depressing. When your hearthrob ages, it only means one thing – you are getting old.

Not fun.

So fess up – who was your favorite heartthrob back in the day?

(Side Note: Sometimes it’s okay to write fluff – this is one of those times. Forgive me.)

0 thoughts on “Dear John, I use to salivate over you. Love my teen aged, delusional self. xoxo

1. Sarah

I didn’t even know who that was!

I loved the squeaky clean teeny-bopper types – Corey Haim (I LOVED him), Fred Savage (more ’cause of Kevin from The Wonder Years), and Kirk Cameron!! Mmmhmm.

Can’t say I didn’t warn you. Yes, teeny-bopper cheese.

2. KYouell

Jim Morrison & The Who. OMG. Nothing worse than your mom saying, “How old is he?” in a heh-heh-heh tone of voice and having to tell her that he’s her age. Heartbreaking.

On a related note, Val Kilmer is now 50. But since I’m 44 that’s much better than Jim Morrison who would be 66 if my math is right.

3. Kathy

I had a cork wall cover in heart throbs! Memory is shot who though…probably Rick Springfield, Scott Baio. I loved Duran Duran I had those same rubber bracelets!

4. Tracy (AKA The Mayor!)

Funny, I was reminiscing today as well about all my ’80’s teenage heart throbs, when I heard Corey Haim died from an overdose last night….made me so sad & nostalgic! And MAN how I loved Duran Duran!! Saw them in concert more than once, & had their posters all over my walls!

😀

5. Chantal

Oh John, he was also my favourite. I even has my hair cut like his. I loved him. How I miss those days. Did you find a recent photo? What does he look like? I’m off to google!

6. Angel

OH I remember Duran Duran, and Reo Speedwagon and Men in Hats… Ahh the days of great music.. hmmm my heart throb would have to have been… Steve Perry from Journey.. I know he wasn’t drop dead gorgeous but man could he sing.. and I have ahem a reason for being partial to the open arms album lol

7. Tattooedmomof3

Corey Haim’s death had me and my friends discussing teen hearthrobs today as well. For sure mine was Kirk Cameron and Mark Paul Gosslear. I was a big NKOTB fan & Joey was ( and still is) my fav! Ah, to be young and innocent again, lol.

8. Me

John Taylor…Ahhhhhh. I LOVED him! Totally the hottest part of the group. I loved New Kids (I know, I know…but I met them!) and Kirk Cameron.

9. Scout's Honor

Wow, we must be channeling the same vibe. I just wrote about this yesterday morning after seeing the explosion of my poor teen heart when I saw Judd Nelson on the Oscars (Creepy) and heard of Corey Haim’s death. My salvation is Christian Slater. Heh!

10. Shannon @ AnchorMommy

The thing I find even more amusing than the rubber bracelets John is wearing? The stack of RHINESTONE bracelets. Wowee.

I loved George Michael during the WHAM! era. I had a set of pom poms, and my best friend and I would each walk around with one and pretend they were bouquets of flowers from our boyfriends in the band. My boyfriend was George, of course, and she had to settle for that other guy. Ha!

11. boutiquekarma

There were quite a few during my fickle teenage years..

Donny & Jordan of NKOTB were my faves at different years during their popularity. I also LOVED Corey Haim, he was Canadian and oh so cute. My favorite movie at the time was License to Drive (can you believe Heather Graham was in that movie?)

Also, believe it or not Patrick Dempsey – I watched him over and over again when the movie ‘Can’t Buy Me Love’ came out on VHS. He wasn’t poster boy material, but I love him anyhow.

Love this topic..

Tara

12. Nenette

OMG, I LOVED John Taylor!!! He (and the rest of Duran) is the reason my high school BFF and I started a band. We were actually quite good and played in front of people other than our families!
    And I played?… yup, the bass. Heh, I should write a post about that.

He’s 50 now? Dang, I feel old. But I’m 40, so I guess I’m kinda getting there. Ish.

But really, my crushes were… in order…
    Donny Osmond
    Scott Baio
    Rick Springfield
    Wayne Gretzky (yeah, I went through a hockey phase in Junior High)
    John Taylor

Okay, NOW I feel old. Crap.

13. Jean

So embarrassing, but New Kids on the Block, the youngest one, Joey I think his name was? And Leo was definitely a big one for me too.

14. Joann Mannix

Okay, so I’m a LOT older than the rest of you girlies, but for me, when I was very young, it was Bobby Sherman. I know, I know, none of you had any idea who that was.

In my late teens and early 20’s it was this hot Irish guy that no one had ever heard of yet. I was into punk music and there was this wannabee band from Ireland called U2. I still have the biggest crush on Bono and my husband knows if Bono ever shows up at my house, ready to take me away, I am a cloud of dust. He’s okay with this. That’s one of the reasons I love him.

1. KYouell

I REMEMBER BOBBY SHERMAN! Only a little before my time & I started listening to music/getting crushes early. My first was Davy Jones when I was 3; watched The Monkees on Saturdays & would get mad at my mom if she talked during the show. It was only fair because she always shushed me during The Tom Jones Show. 🙂

15. subourbonwife

Why has no one mentioned Jake Ryan?? He’s the perfect guy specimen from “Sixteen Candles”. I love him still. I heard he’s a carpenter or something like that these days. So I’d have to fall back on my other crushes (all from John Hughes movies) – James Spader, Judd Nelson, Andrew McCarthy. I also had an INXS poster on my wall and would have delightedly dated any of them.

16. uthostage

John Taylor was absolutely my fav Duran Duran member. But overall, it was Rick Springfield all the way baby! I still love him to this day. ahhhh…..

17. Cheryl

Okay, I’m clearly RIDICULOUS old, but I used to have this ginormous poster of Shaun Cassidy on my wall. When I was in 5th grade. I used to kiss that poster every night before bed. Mainly because this girl Tracy who was in my class told me she did that, and she was his Number One Fan so I had to keep up, right?

Teenage years? Tom Cruise. Risky Business. All the Right Moves. Then he later got all Scientolo-crazy and it ended it for me.

Sigh.

18. Cranky Sarah

I didn’t / don’t really develop celebrity crushes except that I had a few Elvis filled weeks after being forced to visit Graceland sometime as a late teen. Never mind that he died before I was born.

19. kimberly

Ok…for me, wow! Ricky Schroeder! Mmmm…Silver Spoons anyone?? Also, Ricky Martin (back in the Menudo days) and, of course, my absolute fave, Corey Haim. I too was so saddened by the loss of his short life. What a tortured soul. Not only was I sad to hear of his passingN but it grieves my heart to see anyone deal with such pain as he always seemed to be in. Add to that the pain of watching his mother fight cancer. My heart goes out to his family.

20. Lynn @ Midday Escapades

Mine was Johnny Depp from his 21 Jump Street days. I used to have a binder full of his pics from those teen magazines. I blame the magazines for getting me obsessed! They knew exactly what they were doing.

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

21. Tracy (AKA The Mayor!)

Hey Maria! I was always partial to Simon…sorry LOL! Just wanted to let you know that I so enjoy your site, & have chosen you for a blogging award! Pop by Crazy Town & check it out….you were one of the first Moms I ever found & followed, & you have kept me hooked ever since! Congrats & thnx!

Tracy (AKA The Mayor!)

22. BeachMama

He was my fave too!! And I totally remember that photo of him. Looking at him now as he nears 50 I have a few questions about him, but he was still my fave band member.

23. mommasunshine

Gosh, I had so many. A lot of the soap stars – Jack Wagner, John Stamos…

…and then, Richard Marx came along. And then dammit, that was IT for the other dudes. LOVED him.

24. sorare

Mine was James Spader. Fell in love with him when I saw Tuff Turf, and then came Pretty in Pink and Less Than Zero. I guess I liked my guys a little on the bad side. Thankfully I married a sweetheart!

25. Alexandra

I was just thinking about this!! I had a mad crush that actually ached, on only the cutest boy that ever walked the planet: Ricky Martin, when he was in Menudo. Go ahead, google him, you’ll see what I’m talking about…he still makes me blush.