For a Nauseatingly Good Time, Call Me

23rd March 2010

My children LOVE PlayDoh. They go through a ton of it in one sitting. See all the empty containers above? Yup, it only took one hour to “run out” of PlayDoh. I on the other hand, hate PlayDoh.I cannot stand PlayDoh, but I have a good reason. It literally makes me physically nauseous to be around it. But, I suffer through it because the little people go ape shit over PlayDoh. Yes, motherhood is pain.

Ironically, I’m the mom responsible for making “playdough” for my son’s class. It is SUPER easy, the kid’s totally get involved and have fun in the process. Better yet, no nausea for me. Here’s the recipe:

1. Mix 2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1/4 cup cream of tartar in a pot.

2. Add 2 cups water, 1/4 cup cooking oil, food colouring

3. Mix Well.

4. Cook over medium heat, stirring until thick.

5. Knead a few times.

6. Store in an airtight container.

Easy Peasy. Mommy ain’t queasy.

24 thoughts on “For a Nauseatingly Good Time, Call Me

1. Tricia

I hate playdough too. My poor kids hardly ever get to play with it. When they do, I use the Kool Aid playdough, just google the recipe. Smells SO much better than the plain kind.

2. thelumberjackswife

Thank you for sharing this recipe! I honestly hate playdough. But because of the mess! But my kids are getting old enough now where it might not be so terrible!

3. Alexandra

Playdo I can take, it’s the “moonsand” that makes me go nuts. WHoever invented that, is nuts. It gets in the carpeting, in the cracks of the table. It’s nuts…but kids love it..

4. Babes about Town

That’s funny, the things we suffer for our kids. I on the other hand love playdough – the texture, the mushiness and especially the smell. I could eat it. At my kids’ playgroup they make it with all sorts of colourings and yummy smells like lavender. Thanks for the recipe!

5. Angel

Ohh I loathe play doh seriously.. But I love Silly putty lol. I mean hello it copies stuff… AND it bounces lol..I nearly got Moon Sand one year for my son and then I really looked at the stuff and went ummm no thanks lol. I will have to try the Koolaid playdough that sounds cool.

6. Jen

Just thought I would tell you that you are suppose to eat the play doh. 😉

But seriously, thanks for posting this recipe b/c my kids are like yours and destroy play doh in a matter of minutes.

7. Lanita

It is not the playdough itself that I have an issue with. It is the little playdough crumbs that get created during play, then ground into the carpet…where it dries and becomes a permanent fixture on the floor.

8. boutiquekarma

I loathe playdoh also.. as Lanita said – the crubs get everywhere. It really bothers me to brush those crumbs out of my bed at night. Moonsand was created by a father who was not responsible for cleanup. Cruel.

Thanks for the recipe – but how long does it stay good for?

1. Maria

As long as you keep it in the airtight container, it lasts a good amount of time. Although it is so inexpensive and easy to make, I tend to make it often, because I get kind of grossed out by it once the kids have played with it a couple of times. I would say a few weeks anyway. I buy the ingredients at the bulk food store, and it makes it a very inexpensive toy to play with!

9. Laurie

I do not like regular play-doh, but I love homemade stuff. Well, I like the smell better anyway – it still creates quite the mess when my little guys talk me into making some!

10. Chantal

I have had to make the playdoh for my kids class too. I use the koolaid recipe. It really is easy and I wonder sometimes why I bought so much of the brand stuff over the years.

11. Pres. Kathy

Thanks for the recipe. We were playing play-doh all day yesterday and I was thinking I need to buy some more. Now I think I will try this with Niko! Have a great day!

12. Tired Mom Tésa

My MIL hates play-doh too. I didn’t get it at first, but the bigger the mess my two make with it, the more I’m beginning to understand. I’ve never tried to make it at home, it would be interesting not having the smell. I’ll have to try it sometime.

13. Nicole

Thanks for sharing your playdoh recipe. I’ve been looking for a good homemade one. I agree with the others who can put up with the smell, but can’t stand all the playdoh crumbles that get left everywhere!!

14. Loukia

For God’s sake – EASY PEASY? There are more steps involved in making play-doh than there are in making yemista! NO THANK YOU! Store bought for me, all the way! When we had to bring play-doh in for my son’s school I would just buy some. I also love playing with it, so…

15. Erin

My mom made us homemade play dough like this when we were little. And our Yorkie ate half of it and got very, very ill. Lots of doggie vomit. It was lovely.

😉
    You are too good. I just buy the pre-made Play Doh. Mom FAIL.

16. Pepper

I used to love playdoh. I used to think it was grand stuff. Until I had a little boy who loves the stuff to death! Now I find little dried non-colorful balls and crumbs of the stuff everywhere. So when my 2yo almost 3yo starts his I wants to play with playdoh dance I cringe. I know I will be cleaning up the stuff for the next week. And for some reason the ocd part of me goes wacky as I watch him mix the colors.

1. Maria

The first time mine played with it, I wanted them to keep the colors separate. My kids looked at me like I was from outer space. That was the end of that. The great thing about Spring, is you can set them up outside on a play table, and let them go crazy, without worrying about where all the bits go.

17. Shannon @ AnchorMommy

I totally know what you mean about the smell. BLECH. Until my kid’s recent birthday, we were a strictly homemade play-doh household (It’s just so dang easy to make) and then he got some for his birthday, which he is TOTALLY infatuated with. Ick. I just keep my distance.

18. MFA Mama

The smell of Play-Doh makes me feel gaggy too, but you know what the very best thing about the home-made version is?

You can scent it with essential oils!!! Oh yes. Get you some of your favorite aromatherapy oil and add that to the home-made version for good, calming (in my case, at least) times!