Eat, Pray, Love – Indonesia (a.k.a. This is the END my friends)

30th August 2010

eat-pray-loveOy.

That is my summation of Love or Indonesia as it is titled in the book. I’ll be honest with you – this section pretty much bored me to tears. Except for Felipe, who I’m assuming is played by Javier Bardem in the movie, which makes me imagine a hunky dude when reading about him – the rest of this section was a big yawn fest. It was kind of disappointing. I found myself really trying to skip entire passages where she kind of went on a little too long, and in a painful, not fun to read fashion.

Italy, where are you when I need you?

Italy, was my favorite part of the book, by far. And thanks to Richard in India and a small part to Felipe, I actually finished this book – I doubt I would have otherwise. Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s amazing that she went on this journey for herself after such a brutal divorce, but I really don’t get how this book is as popular as it is. Did this book inspire me? Yes – it inspired me to find myself a hot Brazilian, if I ever get divorced.

What I enjoyed most in this book are the characters we get to meet, and learning about their culture and traditions and beliefs. But I hate to admit that by the third section, I was kind of, totally bored with the main character herself, which makes it pretty hard to enjoy the book.

So, did I love this section? Nope. Not at all. It almost made me hate the entire book, and I actually had to go back to my earlier posts on Italy and India to see if I even enjoyed those. Although, normally it takes me a few days (sometimes much less if I’m really enjoying the read) to get through a book, this one was dragged on a little too long, which may have also affected my overall love for the book.

I would love to know what you thought about this book. Whether you were part of reading this with me (oh, um, where did you 30+ ladies go?), or have read this book at some point, I would love to know what you thought about Eat, Pray, Love. Do you think it’s fantastic? Life changing? Do you think its totally over hyped?  Leave me a comment below and let me know – I would honestly love to hear what you thought about it.

Also, for anyone that did in fact read the book along with me, (My dear invisible #EatPrayLovers)  feel free to link up your Indonesia/final posts here – or if you’ve ever written about Eat, Pray, Love, please go ahead and link up so I can read your posts about it!

14 thoughts on “Eat, Pray, Love – Indonesia (a.k.a. This is the END my friends)

1. Michelle

I did not join you on this journey because I had attempted to read this several months ago on my own. I LOVE to read, and go through several books a week (except in the summer, have only read about a book a month), but other than the Italian escape, I was bored to tears. I really WANTED to love it, and felt like I should love it, based on all the praise and rave reviews that the book received, but meh, didn’t do it for me at all. To personally take the journey, whole ‘nother ball of wax. If you do another book club, I’d love to participate!

2. LZ

I was bored, bored, BORED with the middle part of the book. I kept waiting for something spectacular to happen at the end of Indonesia, too.
    All in all, I liked it. I did. It just was slow going. I liked Richard, too, but couldn’t take his nickname of ‘groceries.’ It bugged the crap out of me.

3. Nicki

I loved the book but am behind on my re-read. I just today posted India. I am about to, probably tomorrow evening, post my final entry about the book. I was never bored with the book but am unsure if, after some of the comments I have seen, I can see the movie.

4. Elaine

I was actually the most “bored” in the middle part but I appreciated each section for something. Overall I really enjoyed the book but that may have had something to do with the fact that I don’t read that many books right now!

And really it just made me want to travel and eat and meditate. Guess that’s good? Not sure… 😉

Are you planning to see the movie? (I already have…)

1. MARIA Post author

I think I’ll see it when it comes out on video – there is pretty much no way I could ever convince the hubs to see this in the theatre, and I’m okay with that this time.

5. KR

Gotta say I really started disliking Liz in the middle and pretty much really disliked her by the end. She’s so self-absorbed. There was a couple of times in every chapter when I wanted to punch Liz in the neck. I had to walk away from the book from disbelief that people can be so wrapped up in the minutia. But I struggled through because the book is wildly popular. Thanks for making me read it. Now I can say I did. I too will wait for the video, mostly because I love Julia Roberts.

1. MARIA Post author

Hey, don’t apologize to me! I totally get what you’re saying – by the end of the book, I found her full-on annoying.

6. Sara

It was naval gazing at its very very worst. We could all find ourselves if our publishers paid for a year-long trip around the world and we had no responsibilities other than ourselves. Give me a real woman in real life who accomplishes the same goals and I’ll be happy.
    I should have skipped the book and just seen the movie 🙂

7. Abby

Funny, I felt that way about the India section. For a while, I thought I was the only one who didn’t love! love! love! the book. Interesting premise, but I got annoyed w/ her angsty, poor-me whining. The movie was pretty close to the book, but I enjoyed the eye candy.

8. Glamamom

I read this a couple of years ago and definitely liked it altough I agree it dragged at times. I found India to be slower than Indonesia. Overall I liked it because I love reading about women’s journies. Especially in the face of trajedy or adversity. She had me in the first chapter when she was lying on the floor.

I have no interest in seeing the movie. It’s pretty much a rule I have about books I’ve enjoyed. Never once did the image of Julia Roberts cross my mind as I was reading…

9. Finola

I agree with you about not liking this book. I thought it was boring, self-indulgent, self-absorbed. I cannot figure out why it was so popular.
    I expect I will like the movie though. Condensed down to 2 hours or so with Julia Roberts should be highly watchable (but yes, as a renter!)