First Day of School – Grade Two and Junior Kindergarten

7th September 2010

The summer break is officially over. I am in denial. I can’t believe the school year has begun – where did the summer go???

Our proud six year old headed off to his first day of Grade Two today, looking totally adorable. He said he was excited about going back, to see all his “fwends” and to have fun outside with all the boys. Thankfully, he ended up having a great day and he’s really happy with his nice new teacher, so day one was definitely a win.

AND…..after much debate and waffling (on my part), we decided that our three year old was going to start Junior Kindergarten today after all. She was beyond thrilled and although it was just a one hour introduction to the classroom, and we were there with her the entire time, she had no problem leaving us behind to check things out, and have a little chat with her new teacher. I’m so glad that  she has the same teacher as my son did – I totally adore her. I actually affectionately refer to her as “Mary Poppins on steroids”. She’s good people.

I’m crossing my fingers there will be no crying on Friday, and by no crying, I mean me. I hope both kids are able to adapt and transition into the routine quickly and that I remember to Purel them from head to do every day after school.

How was the first day back for your little ones???

23 thoughts on “First Day of School – Grade Two and Junior Kindergarten

1. MARIA Post author

Thanks Elaine. Let’s just move closer to one another, and make that whole hugging thing easier on the both of us!

1. mapsgirl

Congrats on having 2 in school!

My oldest started JK at 3 years old as well (December birthday). I was worried but she did so well. She’s now in Grade 1 (which I blogged about today) and absolutely loves school. Your daughter will do great!

Next year I’ll have 2 in school and will be crying like a baby.

1. MARIA Post author

Thanks so much!! It was such a last minute decision that I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. She is very excited about going so that’s great, our only real concern right now is the bathroom situation. She just doesn’t want to take time out of having fun, to go to the bathroom.

2. Kameron

I am starting my son in preschool in January. It is a full day program and I am most concerned about the napping situation. It is scarry and happy all at the same time. You kidlets are adorable and I love her in the little skirt and backpack!

Oh, were you ever able to comment on my blog? I looked at the settings after you said it wouldn’t work and it says it allows open id, so not sure why it didn’t work. :o)

3. Finola

Your photos are so sweet! I especially love the expression on your daughter’s face. Adorable.

For our family, the daughter I worry about constantly ended up with a nice teacher and all of her friends in her class, so she breezed through the day. My little one who usually has an easy time with everything had a tough first day. They continually surprise me.

1. MARIA Post author

Thanks!! Yes, kids are good with the surprises. One day is fantastic, and the next is stressful or sad for them. All we can really do is be there for them no matter what.

4. Justine

Wow – one day you’re mom to itty bitties and they next, you’re driving them both to school. It is pretty surreal isn’t it? But think of all the newfound freedom when they’re away…Hmmm…

1. MARIA Post author

I’m trying to think of enjoying those two hours (not that long!) to myself, but I’m still a little stressed about the whole thing! Hopefully once the routine kicks in, it will be a nice break for all of us! Thanks!!

5. Scentsy

I love your new blog and your pictures are adorable. In my daughters back to school picure she was frowning. That’s how happy she was to be back in school. So, she frowned and I cried, but its getting better for both of us. 🙂

6. Chantal

OHHH your daughter started too! WOW time flies. My baby will start JK when he is 3 (he is only 8mo) and I am already stressing about it. Seriously! I may need some drugs to help me over the next 3 years because my heart can’t take it. 🙂 Your boy looks great and I am glad he had a good first day. I hope his year is amazing!

7. Joy

Your kids are cuties! I love the description of your children’s teacher-“Mary Poppin’s on steriods”. My oldest starts preschool next week. I am hoping there will be no tears for either of us.

8. Kate

Ohmygah they are so cute.

For us, separation through preschool was easier than expected. I think it helps that the preschool classroom has a bajillion toys that we don’t have at home. It might be beaten up and germ covered, but IT’S NEW, MOMMY.

9. Pingback: First Day Of School – Grade Three & Senior Kindergarten | boredmommyblog.com