The Year of the Smaller Ass

2nd January 2011

Hi.

My name is Maria. (Yes, I’m still here – I took a holiday break).

I am FAT.

I used to be skinny. Then I was thin. Then I was chubby. Then I was baby weight – twice.

But now, I’m just fat.

No cute cardigan is going to change this fact.

In fact there is nothing cute in the closet at the moment, except some depressingly boring tshirts, and one million cardigans.

I’ve lost weight in the past, but never the full amount. I get there 30, 40, maybe even 75% of the way, and then regress.

I am awesome at going backwards.

I’m done with going the wrong way.

So what’s different this time?

I feel OLD, and rickety, and OLD. I’ll be honest, that almost feels worse than being fat.

Also, I see something in the mirror, other than my reflection,Β that I hate.

I see someone I always told myself I would never become.

I see sad. I see depressed. I see a real stranger.

I deserve better for myself.

As of tomorrow, I will be starting over.

I have decided to join Weight Watchers online – I’ve read about the new Points Plus program, and their many success stories, and I’ve decided that I want to be one of them.

And I start TOMORROW!!!!!!!

I’m going to be posting my weekly updates every Monday, and knowing that so many of you are also planning on doing Weight Watchers or already are, I’m going to have a Mr.Linky at the bottom of each Monday post, in case you want to link up.

This will probably take a while, with the amount of weight I want to lose, so I would love your support, and I want to cheer you on too!!

Disclaimer: This is NOT a sponsored post – I chose WW on my own, and paid for it with the pennies I found under the couch cushions.

32 thoughts on “The Year of the Smaller Ass

1. Jill (@charmedimsure)

I’m right there with you. It has taken me so long to come to terms with the fact that I’m not just a few pounds overweight or that it’s baby weight. I have to accept the fact I’m not the curvy, but petite, girl with the great ass anymore. I started the day after Christmas when I got a major wakeup call from the Wii Fit of all things. I’m not doing Weight Watchers, but I’m off to a good start, losing 3.7 lbs in my first week, just counting calories. If you want a support network on Twitter, look me up!!

2. Taylor

I have lost a ton on WW (like, a TON) so I commend you for trying it, and I know you will love it. Don’t give up!!! It comes off slowly but it adds up FAST.

You can do it!!!!!

3. sara@domesticallychallenged

good for you! I would say this as well, pay the money to see a dietician, and to get the book “Intuitive Eating.” Both will take you further than you’d ever believe. Even the book alone is an amazing investment for under $10!

4. mel

Good for you, sweetie. You are gorgeous on the outside, but we all know we need to feel good about ourselves and getting back on the weightloss wagon is something I can relate to.

5. Elaine

YAY!! You CAN do it Maria and you will feel SO much better, I promise, in SO many ways. I was in the same place as you last year and as matter a fact my post from last year at this time has a VERY similar title. I can’t wait to see and hear about your progress! πŸ™‚ If you need extra support/motivation just send a tweet or email, k? xo

6. Alicia

Go Maria!!! Go Maria!!!! You can do it!!!! And when you do, you will feel so good when you reach your goal! If you feel like giving up, don’t! I will be here cheering you on the entire way!!!!!!

7. nicole

You can do it Maria!

You are so not alone in trying more than once to make the change for good. I was reading through old blog posts last week on my blog and there are so many about recommitting to exercise and eating right. I did hit a good stretch before #6 and I’m trying to get back there.

I’m doing the 100 Days Challenge (look it up on FB) to get started. And we got the Wii Fit and it is helping me out so far, because I can do steps while watching regular TV. It is not my usual workout, but it is better than nothing.

I suck at eating good for me food though. One challenge at a time, right?

You’re going to do great!

8. Liza

I’m on the same path this year, Maria!

I’ve got a ways to go but I’m not focused on the number – just the feeling. Mostly, just to reduce the jiggles!

Have fun and keep us posted! I can’t wait to hear how it all goes.

9. Lindsey

Yaaay Maria!!You CAN do it… look at all the support around you!! Use it. You are NOT alone. You are gonna be a hot skinny bitch sooner than you think! Look out world!! xo

10. Myrtle

I am right there with you. This will be great. I bought a Wii and the Wii Fit for Christmas. I have started using it and I love it. I love the competitiveness and the way it keeps track of you. I am also doing WW. I have done it before so I am just doing it the old fashion way. (I need those pennies under the cushions for milk, bread, yogurt you know… life). Anyway it will be great to have some support! Looking forward to the Linky!

11. Mish

I’m right there with you sistah friend. It’s so funny that as soon as I finished and posted my blog, I see yours. We are so similar it makes me laugh out loud!! Good luck on your journey. I hope together we become two skinny bitches. πŸ™‚

12. Janey K

Maria – Welcome to my world – I was in denial for soooo
    long…I too have decided that this year I am shedding all the bad
    weight – including all the negatives that try to keep me down. I
    will be with you and will be blogging my progress on my site as
    well. Good luck to us both. πŸ™‚ Janey

13. CynthiaK

Maria, you and I are living the same life. Sigh. But this
    year will be a great one, I know it. Good luck with WW – I’ve done
    it before (during one of those amazing times when the weight was
    going in the right direction) and was successful. You can totally
    do it. You’ll feel fantastic. πŸ™‚

14. Pam Dillon

I’m cheering for you! — and on the way today, veeery
    slowly, to buy a family fitness membership at the place you can see
    from my house. Flab — Get the hell out of the cardigan!

15. Angella

Here to cheer you on! I used to be a “big girl” until about ten years ago, until I took charge of my eating and exercise, and I love to encourage others in their desire to be healthy.

You can do it!!

16. Jeannie Spiro

You’ve summed up how so many people feel in just a few brief sentences.

I firmly believe in Healthy Goals. I went up and down the scale countless times over the years and finally figured it out to lose weight the right way. People gain and lose weight over and over again but until they understand what is going on in the cycle they can’t break the pattern.

Best of luck,

Jeannie @healthyweighs

17. Kameron

I was thinking of doing the points Plus thing too. Are you doing the online thing or the meetings? I think I will go sign up. I need some help in this department.

1. MARIA Post author

I’m doing the online one b/c you get full access to their online tools and iphone app and they are fantastic!!

18. Christine

You go girl! I know you can do it, and you will feel so much better for it. Take charge. Use us as your support. Whatever it takes. We all want you to shine and feel awesome about yourself. You deserve it.

19. Alissa

Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck on your weight loss journey. I’ve had success with Weight Watchers in getting the weight off in the past. It’s just that persnickety keeping it off that’s the problem.

Good Luck!!

20. Victoria Van Dalsen

Way to go Maria!! You are an inspiration! My granddaughter became engaged last year and I vowed not to be the fat grandma in her wedding photos. Guess what. The wedding is in two weeks and I AM the fat grandma! I am so disgusted with myself. Things have to change. I am disabled due to back problems so exercising is very difficult for me. I’m not working any longer so we had to give up our membership to the Y where I could at least swim. I’m posting this and then going over to the WW online site. Hey, maybe I’ll see you there! Thanks Maria for giving me inspiration to get off my hinny and do something about it instead of remaining fat and whinning about it!

21. Jennifer

I am cheering for you! I have gained, lost, and gained. My last pregnancy took me to an all time high. Only problem is, he is one and I am still stuck at the weight in which I had him. But now with thyroid medications and three days into WW points plus, I feel I will be able to do it too! I am inspiried and I will be working right along with you! Good Luck! I