Week one is over.
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that was the longest week ever.
I’m sure the fact that I was now on a “diet” was a happy coincidence.
First off, let me clarify that I’m doing the online program, rather than the meetings, so I can only speak to what the online version has been like for me.
Things I LIKE about the program:
- The best thing about the online program is that the membership includes access to the e-tools and the iPhone app. I really like the iPhone app – it means I have access to the Points Tracker, Points Calculator and the database at any time.
- I do like that it’s not about eating certain food groups, or their products or anything like that. They really encourage you to eat healthy, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, etc, and that is reflective in the point amounts given to each item.
- It sets you up in a way that it is very much a lifestyle change, as opposed to a diet that ends once you lose all the weight.
Things that I don’t like about the program:
- I don’t love the fact that you could technically still eat things that aren’t really great for you (ie. high in sugar) and still be within the point range. Clearly, you have to put on your big girl pants and make the right decisions for yourself, but it’s easy to see where someone could go wrong and not lose as much weight as they should.
- The new plan give zero points value to most fruits and vegetables, so as to encourage you to eat as many as possible. The problem with that is, you can’t really eat limitless fruit because of the calories and the sugars involved. So again, you can get in trouble thinking that you can eat as much as you want without regret. Not true.
Things I did right:
- I cut out all crap – no junk food, fast food, processed foods, and anything high in sugar.
- I started drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day.
- I’m eating tons of veggies, mostly raw and in salads, and more fruits than I have in a very long time.
Things I need to work on:
- Need to start exercising – Starting today, I’m going to focus on doing something every day. I’ve bought a treadmill, so I might try Couch to 5K although I don’t think I’m going to be able to do it, to be totally honest. Either way, I will be planning to walk 10,000 steps a day, as often as possible. I also own tons of great workout dvds, that I plan to use as well. I really have no excuse not to work out daily.
- I also need to make a big change in my sleeping patterns. I’ve gone from sleeping 7-8 hrs consistently, to sleeping these odd, messed up hours that are kind of brutal. Knowing that sleep affects your metabolism, can only mean that I really need to get on it sooner rather than later.
What did I lose:
First off, I will say that weighing yourself once a week, is way better than daily. Because of fluctuations, etc, if you’re anything like me, all you will do, is discourage yourself and maybe want to quit. So really try to aim for once a week. Once you get to your goal weight, I say weighing yourself more often is a great idea.
SO, as of this morning, which is exactly one week since I’ve started the program, I’m down 6.5 lbs!!
It’s a big number, and I can absolutely attribute it to big changes in diet. Going from a diet that was absolutely attrocious to the total opposite will do that.
So Week One was a success, and I’m hoping that Week Two will be as well!
How was your week? Regardless of whether you’re doing Weight Watchers or another program, I would love it if you would link up below so that we can high five and encourage each other!! The plan right now is that this will be a weekly post, every Monday until I lose the chunk.
Thanks for all the fab comments on last week’s post – I really appreciate it!!