Jan

Weight Watchers Points Plus – Week One

by MARIA on January 10, 2011

Week one is over.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that was the longest week ever.

I’m sure the fact that I was now on a “diet” was a happy coincidence.

Anywho…

First off, let me clarify that I’m doing the online program, rather than the meetings, so I can only speak to what the online version has been like for me.

Things I LIKE about the program:

• The best thing about the online program is that the membership includes access to the e-tools and the iPhone app. I really like the iPhone app – it means I have access to the Points Tracker, Points Calculator and the database at any time.
  • I do like that it’s not about eating certain food groups, or their products or anything like that. They really encourage you to eat healthy, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, etc, and that is reflective in the point amounts given to each item.
  • It sets you up in a way that it is very much a lifestyle change, as opposed to a diet that ends once you lose all the weight.

Things that I don’t like about the program:

• I don’t love the fact that you could technically still eat things that aren’t really great for you (ie. high in sugar) and still be within the point range. Clearly, you have to put on your big girl pants and make the right decisions for yourself, but it’s easy to see where someone could go wrong and not lose as much weight as they should.
  • The new plan give zero points value to most fruits and vegetables, so as to encourage you to eat as many as possible. The problem with that is, you can’t really eat limitless fruit because of the calories and the sugars involved. So again, you can get in trouble thinking that you can eat as much as you want without regret. Not true.

Things I did right:

• I cut out all crap – no junk food, fast food, processed foods, and anything high in sugar.
  • I started drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day.
  • I’m eating tons of veggies, mostly raw and in salads, and more fruits than I have in a very long time.

Things I need to work on:

• Need to start exercising – Starting today, I’m going to focus on doing something every day. I’ve bought a treadmill, so I might try Couch to 5K although I don’t think I’m going to be able to do it, to be totally honest. Either way, I will be planning to walk 10,000 steps a day, as often as possible. I also own tons of great workout dvds, that I plan to use as well. I really have no excuse not to work out daily.
  • I also need to make a big change in my sleeping patterns. I’ve gone from sleeping 7-8 hrs consistently, to sleeping these odd, messed up hours that are kind of brutal. Knowing that sleep affects your metabolism, can only mean that I really need to get on it sooner rather than later.

What did I lose:

First off, I will say that weighing yourself once a week, is way better than daily. Because of fluctuations, etc, if you’re anything like me, all you will do, is discourage yourself and maybe want to quit. So really try to aim for once a week. Once you get to your goal weight, I say weighing yourself more often is a great idea.

SO, as of this morning, which is exactly one week since I’ve started the program, I’m down 6.5 lbs!!

WOOT!

It’s a big number, and I can absolutely attribute it to big changes in diet. Going from a diet that was absolutely attrocious to the total opposite will do that.

So Week One was a success, and I’m hoping that Week Two will be as well!

How was your week? Regardless of whether you’re doing Weight Watchers or another program, I would love it if you would link up below so that we can high five and encourage each other!! The plan right now is that this will be a weekly post, every Monday until I lose the chunk.

Thanks for all the fab comments on last week’s post – I really appreciate it!!

{ 96 comments }

1 nicole January 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

Wow, that is great! I am impressed that you made so many good changes in one week. Good job Maria! I did at least 30 minutes of movement every day since January 1. Sometimes just the step on Wii Fit, but that is better than nothing. Can’t wait to see your success for this week1

2 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 11:11 am

Thanks so much Nicole!!

3 Toni January 10, 2011 at 10:29 am

Congrats! That’s super fantastic success!

Keep up the great attitude – good mental health will only serve to help you! :)

Thanks for adding the pros and cons – it’s a good way to judge what you are doing “right” and “wrong” :)

Keep it up girl!

4 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 11:11 am

Thanks Toni!!

5 Taylor January 10, 2011 at 10:35 am

Good start! Congratulations!

As a lifetime member I just want to let you know don’t get discouraged about the program if you don’t ever lose that much in a week again- it is common to lose a lot the first week, but usually it tapers down to around a pound or so a week. That’s totally normal and still great, but sometimes people are surprised that they don’t lose as much in following weeks.

If you can manage to lose that much a week again, you’re extremely lucky, but if not, don’t give up.

BTW, most men I’d see at my meetings would lose close to 5 pounds a week every week. Stupid boys.

6 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 11:12 am

Yes, it is very frustrating to see how much easier it is for men to lose weight. My husband thinks about losing weight, and loses five pounds without even trying. Thanks for your support!

7 andrea from the fishbowl January 10, 2011 at 10:39 am

6.5 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. It’s a great start.

I wanted to comment about the Couch-5k program. It is really good. I didn’t think I could do it either (I’ve always HATED running) but I surprised myself and finished it. If I can do it, YOU can do it too.

p.s. I’m doing a Sugar Fast right now, cutting out refinded sugars as well as flour. I hear what you’re saying about the high sugar snacks allowed by WW. The trick to successful weight loss is to eat less of the processed stuff as possible IMHMO.

8 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 11:10 am

Thanks Andrea! I am going to try the C25K program for sure – I’ve always wanted to be a runner. I’m sure it will get easier, as I get lighter.

9 Sandy (@sandyel) January 10, 2011 at 10:50 am

Girl you rock! I’m so proud of you! I may just join you… :))

10 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 11:09 am

You should!!!! Join online, and we can do it together!!

11 Sandy (@sandyel) January 10, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I’m too lazy… but I did start a special smoothie/protein shake for breakfast this morning! Baby steps…

12 Heather B January 10, 2011 at 10:55 am

That is so AWESOME!!!!! I too lost 6.5 lbs this week just by cutting out processed foods and most sugar! I wanted to join WW but it wasn’t in the budget! So I am just making it up as I go! I also cut out regular sodas and that has made a HUGE difference!!!

Here’s to another GREAT week for you!!!!!

13 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 11:09 am

Thanks so much, and congrats for losing that, and on your own!!! WOO!

14 Nancy January 10, 2011 at 11:08 am

Way to go! I started on Sat. With my first meeting. So far, it’s been pretty easy. This is my umpteenth time on WW (I suck at maintenance), and I like many of the changes, especially not having to burn through my points with fruits and veggies. We’ll see how it goes!

15 Shannan January 10, 2011 at 11:22 am

Great job!! I just weighed in after my first week on Weight Watchers, too and hit 6.5 lbs as well! I’m also doing the online thing. I just couldn’t find local meetings that worked for me.

Can’t wait to see what this week brings for both of us! Good luck!

16 Elaine January 10, 2011 at 11:26 am

WHEE!!! That is AWESOME Maria! And of course I love your take on the low sugar part. I swear by that since doing SB. You are well on your way to being more fit and I’m so proud of your great start! :)

I didn’t lose any weight this week but I am ramping up my running in preparation for another 10K in about a month and I’m back to fairly strict SB for the couple weeks before Blissdom.

Great job girl!

17 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Thanks Elaine, your success is definitely an inspiration to me!! You look gorgeous, girl!

18 Elaine January 10, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Aw thanks friend. Still a work in progress though… xo

19 Kim January 10, 2011 at 11:53 am

WOW. 6.5 lbs in a week is fabulous. Congrats to you! I did WW a few years ago and it was the only thing that ever worked for me (I lost 38 lbs and never found it overly restrictive). It’s totally doable — keep it up!

20 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Thanks so much!! I really appreciate your encouragement!

21 Scary Mommy January 10, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Woooo-hoooo!! That’s an amazing first week! I weigh in tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

22 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Thanks Jill!! Good Luck tomorrow!

23 Lindsey January 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm

HOLY SHIT Woman!! WAy to goooooo! Woot! Awesome.
I love the program too, but so happy to hear they have an iPhone app. Last year this time they didn’t.

So proud of you. You can do this!

24 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Thanks so much Lindsey!!! LOVE the app – it’s a breeze to keep track of everything, which totally helps.

25 Corine January 10, 2011 at 12:19 pm

That is awesome!!! Keep up the good work.

By the way you have some great points with your pros and cons to the plan….. They do make it possible so that you can eat some foods you prob shouldnt – pretty often.

For instance- Pizza 5 pts… Sooo.. I could have 2 slices for lunch? 2 for dinner? and have 9 pts left for breakfast and snack?

Something tells me I wouldnt loose that way— so Im not going to try it… but the points do add up.

26 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Thanks Corine. Yeah, it’s easy to make bad choices and still do ok, but I really don’t think that’s the way to go, and it will show in results in the end!!

27 Esther Feldbaum January 10, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Let me prefix with that I have been doing WW online for 2 weeks now…downside to online? I’m too chicken shit to step on the scale. At least back in the day when I attended the meetings, someone expected me to weigh in! I’ve been good, so I’ll get there!
Corine: where on Earth did you read that pizza is 5 pts? NY pizza? I don’t care how bad it is! If it’s only 5 pts I’ll eat it every day!
Good Luck gals!

28 Sam February 6, 2011 at 8:24 am

You can do the pizza, yes. However, the leaders at WW encourage you to do power foods which in the booklet are foods that are minimally processed or non-processed for the most part. The plan is designed so you can decide what you want to eat and still stay satisfied. The basic idea I have found is it makes you aware of what you are putting in your mouth which does always happen otherwise. I lost 30lbs on the old plan and am playing with this new one now just to see what happens.

29 Devan @ Accustomed Chaos January 10, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Great job! That is definitely an amazing first number!! I am rooting for you :)

30 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Thanks so much Devan!!

31 ShannonL January 10, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Hey Maria, good for you! Wow, 6.5 in one week is AWESOME! I started WW last week, too (on Tuesday). I’m not a member, but I have followed it before so I have the books and everything so my husband and I are just doing it together at home. I went back to read your post from last week, and your story sounds exactly like mine. I used to be skinny, too. Now I’m fat. It’s time to stop being lazy and DO something about it! I like WW for the same reasons you do – especially that it’s a change in lifestyle, not just a crash diet. Good luck! I’ll keep following along! :-)

32 MARIA January 10, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Thank you so much – and good luck to you too!!

33 Jenna @ Eating Green, Staying Lean January 10, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I’ve been doing WW since Thanksgiving and have lost 11
pounds so far! Awesome, awesome plan. I’ve been trying to post
point values for other WW people on my blog, too!

34 amotherworld January 10, 2011 at 1:02 pm

That’s an awesome start! Congrats Maria and keep it up, girl!!!

35 Tara January 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Hi Maria,

I’m so excited for you! I’ll be joining you in a few weeks once I shed this bambino in my belly.

I’m actually a Weight Watcher’s lifetime member, and after three kiddies I need to get back on program. Before the children I lost 60 pounds on the program and kept it off for a year and a half before the pregnancy creep. I believe in the program and its lifestyle change vs rapid results.

I can’t wait to see the changes of the new Points plus program. I’ll be going back to the meetings, especially if my regular girl is still hosting the meetings.

Does anyone know if they give you an access code for the iPhone app if you are a meetings person vs online?

36 Alecia @ Hoobing Family Adventures January 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I have never tried Weight Watchers, but agree that you cannot eat as much fruit and vegetables that you want. I REALLY like this “program” even though it is not really a true program, but perhaps you could incorporate some of the insights into your Weight Watchers program.

Excellent job on so much progress in a week! Keep up the fantastic work! Don’t get discouraged if you gain a bit once you start exercising because muscle does weigh more than fat.

37 LZ January 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm

That’s great! Nice work :-)

38 Alissa January 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm

6.5?? Wooooohooo! That’s awesome. Congrats for a super great number in week one.

39 Alicia January 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Maria! That is amazing! You should be so proud of yourself!! Woot! Woot! You can do it!!! You are off to an amazing start!
Now, if I could just motivate myself to go to the gym. Just through with my first trimester and starting to get more energy, I NEED to go to the gym. Bad. Need motivation!!

40 Amanda Brown January 10, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Wow, what a great first week! I just started WW Pointsplus this week and lost 2 lbs. I have a feeling it’s going to be a slow, steady loss (I have 30 lbs to lose) but the new plan makes a lot more sense than the old WW plan. Good luck!!

41 Celticlass9 January 10, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I could have written this post! (well, minus the 6 lb loss cause I’m just starting today-hopefully next week!)

I’m a horrible sleeper-been getting 5 hours approx a night. I’m aiming for 7-8 as well.

I’m also doing the C25K-started today on my treadmill. I’m not taking that hot mess outside. LOL

And-I’ve done WW before, so I’m just doing it “on my own” so far-the old plan. Started journaling today and counting points. I signed up for the “free” app on my iPad just to realize umm, it’s not. You need to pay for etools or the online program for it to be free. That stinks.

So-I’m going to link up and hopefully we can support each others sleeping and eating journey!

Way to go on your first week! You killed it!

42 Vanessa January 10, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Way to go! That’s awesome that you lost so much weight your first week :) I too was worried about the 0 point fruit thing, last time I joined fruit had points values, so far I haven’t eaten too much fruit for my metabolism (although I’m only in my second week) but eating too much is still something I worry about.

43 Esther Feldbaum January 10, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Good Luck gals!

44 Sasha January 10, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Yay you! I decided to go check out a meeting tonight, get the deets on the new program etc. Not sure how I feel about having to recalc points values for everything. But I need to do something. Will link up once I figure it out & post about it.

45 Myrtle January 10, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Thanks for creating the Linky. I like knowing what works for others.

46 Mickey January 12, 2011 at 9:30 am

Great to hear of your success in the first week.
Congratulations! My husband and I started WW online on Sunday, so I
haven’t been on the scale yet to check results. Overall, though, I
have been really impressed with the program. I’m blogging my
experience with it as well. Keep up the great work. I’ll check back
to offer kudos along the way.

47 Kameron January 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Wow! That’s awesome for a week! Have you had to cut back on Starbucks?? I’m sure those things are brutal. Why does everything that tastes good have to be so bad for you!? I am starting my new program on Monday. I was so sick last week that I need to be fully recovered before I can focus. Luckily a stomach bug probably helped with my weight loss goals!

48 mamaspeak January 15, 2011 at 5:42 pm

My starbucks drink (a single shot, no-whip, vente mocha) is 9 points. I drink one almost every day. And I’m still losing weight, on both programs. The real key to WW is to count it. If you go over, it’s ok. Just count it. At some point your brain will say, “hey you only have 10 extra points left & you know you want one tomorrow b4 XYZ” and you will listen.

I suppose I might be able to speed up my weight loss by dropping my SB for a few weeks, but this is not the time of year for me to do that. (Too cold, I want it!) It’s card I can play when my weight loss stalls.

49 mamaspeak January 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I did not read all your comments bc I’m suffering from ADD brain today. So, I’m probably repeating some stuff you’ve already heard, but I’m gonna say it anyway.

I’m a lifetime member of Weight Watchers (WW). I’ve done the old program (when I was young and skinny, but wanted to get that stubborn last 10 lbs. and it worked SLOWLY!) This new program is one they’ve been using in Europe for a while, so it’s not really NEW. It’s newish. That being said, here’s my $0.02 on WW & your post.
1)You are right, you have to put on your big girl panties if you really do want to lose weight.
2)I go to meetings. There’s some statistic that they throw around about how more successful people who go to meetings are. The point is: having someone to be accountable to, beside yourself is key to sticking with it.
3) WW is a lifestyle change, not a diet. A diet is usually something you stop at some point.
4) (Here’s the important part:) You should eat the things you like, EVEN IF THEY’RE NOT GREAT FOR YOU! If you don’t, you will crave them & “go off your diet” to have them.
5) It’s a slippery slope w/that mind game. You have extra points in order to allow you to have your favorites, COUNT THEM. You are more likely to make better decisions over the course of the week bc you counted them. You go over, you go over. You gain, you’ll know why & have a better sense of what you can “fudge” & get away with it.
6) 6.5lbs is a big loss. It’s a somewhat typical first week loss. BE AWARE! Even if you’re super good next week, you could gain! (the horror!) Some people, (err, um me!) have bodies that want to make sure you’re feeding them regularly, so after a chunk of weight is lost it holds onto everything the next week. Keep going, the week after will be better. Also, some people say you lose inches on the weeks you were good, but didn’t lose lbs. I’ve personally found this to be true. Might want to track that weekly too.
Good Luck! You’ve inspired me to track this via my blog as well. I weigh in on Wednesdays.

50 TJo January 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I joined WW last week (it will be a week this Thursday). I have been very diligent about measuring and counting points and haven’t been eating large amounts of fruit. At first I lost 1.5 lbs but today it said I gained that back and .5 lb on top of that. GRRR. Is that usual?

Also, how does everyone get the 2 tsp of oil in each day?
Thanks for any help.
TJo

51 Traci January 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I found you via a google search regarding blogs on the WW Pts. + program. I am joining tomorrow and will check back with you in a week. I really appreciate your honesty regarding the positives/negatives of the program and will take those to heart when I begin. I dropped 40 pounds over the course of 3 years after retiring from teaching by dragging myself to the gym 5 days a week, but cannot seem to move the scales, because I am a carb junkie. Hope WW will inspire me to healthier, raw, and whole grain choices to lose the last 25 lbs!
Thanks for sharing this with the world!
From the ATL

52 Danielle January 20, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Congrats! I’m really liking this Points Plus system. I completely agree with you that some people might think they can eat endless amounts of fruits and still be on track, but they cannot. I’ve been making great choices and exercising at least 4 times a week, and so far after two weeks down over 6 lbs!

53 froggygoo February 10, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I’m super impressed. I’ve been yo-yoing for a while and I am currently on week 2 of ww. I was just telling my husband that I feel like this new program isn’t working at all because I only lost .8 pounds last week and I feel like I’ve gained this week! (The old program totally worked for me). I’ve actually NEVER lost 6.5 pounds in 1 week– that’s a lot of weight to lose in one week!! May I ask what specific things you’re eating? It might help me! :-)

54 Jhune March 14, 2011 at 10:45 am

Congratulations!!! 6.5 is alot!!! At this rate you’ll be taking over Jennifer’s job as the WW icon! lol

I started last Thursday and I will be attending my first meeting this Thursday. I will also be weighing in so I will report my weight loss then. I’m excited about losing the weight and though it’s been a bit challenging so far, I’m hanging in there. I guess I just need to get used to checking out the points BEFORE I eat.

Thank you for your honesty re the pros and cons. I am also concerned about the unlimited fruits…. esp the bananas… I do not understand why it is zero points… but oh well!

Have a great one!

55 angela April 11, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I was on weight watchers for 6 weeks and followed the program, went to the meetings, weighed and measured the food, and worked out 4 days a week and walked my dogs daily. I lost 2 lbs total. I was very dissapointed. I would be very curious to know exactly what those of you who have lost are eating.

56 Kim May 5, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I just started today and have been reading all the materials given to me, trying to make heads or tails out of it all. (Deep Breath ). I opted to attended the meetings as my rationale was that if people were watching me I would behave myself. :)
Congrats on the 6.5 lb. lose!!! I want that to be me next week.(fingers crossed)

57 MrsDetermined June 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Hi ladies, and cograts bored mommy: I started WW in 2007 and lost about 22 pounds. It dosen’t seem like alot, but I went from a 14 to a 10. Unfortunately I got sick, had surgery, and gained the weight back quickly. I just restarted about 3 weeks ago and I’m kind of up and down. I just want to point out to you ladies to not focus so much on how much you weight, but what range your actually supposed to be in. I’m 33 and 5’8 so although I only lost 22 pounds, I was right in my weight range. My goal is to loose 5 pounds a month and drop 30 pounds by the end of the year…but my biggest challenge right now is junk food and I’ve never been a junk food eater, please someone help!

58 YiaYia June 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I never been to weight watchers nor online. My friend had an extra book on points so that is how I did it. I go on and off all the time. I usually start up before I go on vacation., or for something special. I would like to know what is the new points plus program.

59 lisa July 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm

I started weight watcher 8 weeks ago and so far I lost 17 pounds.
I love the fact that i dont have to give up any of my favorit foods.
It makes me feel like I dont have to do without. Just eat it in moteration and count the points
One thing i new i would never give up is coke a cola. I did not and still have not give that up but after loosing weight i feel very incourage not to drink as much i am down to 8 oz. a day the rest of the day i try to drink water but i know i can have it if i want it. nice!

60 Pamela August 16, 2011 at 9:36 am

Your story was so encouraging. I have read posts on the negatives of WW, and as a Nutrition Specialist, I can say without any doubt, those folks are not making smart choices and the points they are using are from wrong combinations in addition to wrong choices. It helps to have foundational understanding on how the body metabolizes food. I love the Food Lovers plan which is 1/3 protein, 1/3 slow carbs, and 1/3 fast carbs. So…as I emark on the new WW Plus program, I plan to use my points wisely. Over a year ago I lost 50 pounds on HCG, 25 was in my first six weeks, but I did that smart and reset my metabolism. The next two rounds I did, I was foolish and did not take the six weeks off to reset. My new set point was at the original 25 and I quickly gained right back up to that. I have tried hcg several times again, but only 500 calories a day is just not practical, especially with summer, picknicks, beach parties…etc. So, bottom line, it is not the way to go for a lifestyle change. How I was successful was due to a support system, and that I have found is the KEY to success in any weight loss program. Be it online, which it was when on hcg, or going to meetings. I plan to do the meetings for the simple fact I need to get out of my house and with real people, not a husband who constanly bombards me by sabatage. He does not give a rip about his health or weight, which is sad being he is diabetic, but that is his choices in life to which I am not responsable for. Maybe once he sees me shrinking again, he will tap in and join me…In our state we can do the $39.95 per month plan which includes unlimited meetings and online support. that is way cool since there me be times I can not get to a particular meeting, or weeks I may need more support. I am excited about this journey, love the New plan as that is how I choose to eat anyway, so I think my goal of dropping 60 pounds by next April is realistic. When I began my serious weight loss quest, I was 215 pounds. I am only 5’4″. Talk about jelly blubber…in 8 months I was down to 161. That was in June of 2010. But a vacation trip cause an immediate 7 pound gain, then another vacation trip caused another 7 pound gain…then winter was not a friendly fo with depression setting in, another 14, not holding at my reset of 190-194 up down up down at this. Certainly in the obese class. Goal weight is 130…so 60 pounds of fat needs to go off this body frame.

So…focus…one day at a time. How do you eat an Elephant? One bite at a time…so one bite of fat off this body at a time until the whole Elephant is gone.

We can do this folks….but doing it smart is the road to success and making this a lifestyle change for the rest of our life! Not just while dropping pounds. And the word “diet” has to go from our vocabulary…this is NOT a diet, it is a healthy lifestyle change and “yes you can” “yes I can” do this…..Positive affirmations, like “my body is slimmer and slimmer” “I choose healthy foods to eat” “I no longer desire foods that are processed or high in bad sugars”….

Speaking this to the subconcious mind is very important. Phrases like “I’ll try to do better today” are failure phrases…no such thing as try. the subconcous mind take what we say as fact, it is our control center for our existance. Don’t use negative affirmations…and eliminate the word TRY…the mind does not understand that…either you will or you won’t…

Here is an example on how it works…if you can record this message, then sit in a relaxing position and listen…

” As you are relaxed in your chair, or laying down, I want you to close your eyes. Feel how good that feels, relaxed, as if you are sleeping. That relaxation is so strong, even if you try to open your eyes, the tighter shut they become. You can try to open them, but the harder you try, the more glued shut they become, tighter and tighter, more relaxed, and the the harder you try to open them, the tighter shut they are, glued, stuck together….now stop trying and open your eyes.”

I was amzed the first time I did this. It show that your subconcious mind takes things literally…it you try, it does not work. So just do it…”yes you can”

61 Carol P August 17, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Interesting to read everybody’s opinions on Points Plus. I’m one of those who fell into the “fruit trap” – stopped losing, and have gained a few pounds back. It’s frustrating to me, because I love fruit, and the old plan told me how much I could have. The new plan doesn’t, so I don’t know when to stop. I was doing it all online, so I don’t have access to any old points information. I’d like to go back to the old plan, since it gives me the guidance I need. Does anyone know where I can find old plan info, online or off?

62 Pamela August 18, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I don’t know the web link so will try a copy paster here on fruit. My sister just joined WW and sent me this information, excellent guide line for fruit, you can also go to the glycemic index foods, just google it, and go with low glycemic fruits. But this will be very helpful:
As a standard recommendation for the average person, I advise keeping your total fructose consumption below 25 grams per day, with a maximum of 15 grams of fructose from whole fruit. However, if you’re overweight or have any of the related health issues mentioned above, you’d be well served to cut that down to a total of 15 grams of fructose a day, including that from whole fruit. The following table can help you calculate your fructose from fruit consumption..if anyone would like this in chart format, email me and I will be happy to send the pdf file. Then you can print it out and put with your WW materials.

Fruit Serving Size Grams of Fructose
11.3
Pear
11.8
Raisins
1/4 cup
12.3
Grapes, seedless (green or red)
1 cup
12.4
Mango
1/2 medium
16.2
Apricots, dried
1 cup
16.4
Figs, dried
1 cup
23.0

63 Carol P August 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Thanks for the info, Pamela – it’s going to be very helpful. I can see already that I have to cut way down on my mango consumption. :)

64 Pamela August 18, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Another thing with fruit…it should always be eaten alone and not with any protein. Best time is in the morning…but for sure a time span between meals. Here are some links with guidelines on eating fruit…

these are just a few, but the information needed is here. Ever get a sour stomach after eating a full meal and have fruit for desert? Well…now you know the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say…

65 Amanda August 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm

This is amazing. I have been trying to eat better, and I don’t eat awful – but I could always do better…. I am thinking about doing weight watchers pointsplus but I don’t have a lot of extra cash to spend on the program.

The main reason I am posting is that I have tried couch to five K and found I had a hard time sticking with it. However, I have found a wonderful iphone app called lolo – they have a treadmill version, a eliptical version and even c25k versions. I love this app because it tells you what to do when – how fast to go, what incline, how long. They play music that is synced to have a beat each time you step – it will also alter your favorite music to do the same thing. I have found this to be a wonderful tool for me – it helps me work harder on days when I’m feeling really blah and it really commits me to work out for a designated amount of time. There are many more features – got to the app store and check it out. I love it and I HATE running and get bored quickly with workouts.

66 MARIA August 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Thanks so much Amanda!! I’m definitely going to check that app out!!

67 Pamela August 30, 2011 at 7:46 am

I finally did it…WW had an offer I could not turn down right now thru Sept something…anyway, buy one month get one month free! Plus all the online tools. I set up my online and started tracking everything yesterday and was actually down one pound this morning. Will head to my first live meeting this morning. I am looking forward to a new body by spring. Inch by inch everything is a sinch.

Baby steps as they say….one pound at a time. Who won the race in the Tortise and the Hare? The Tortise did….slow and steady and that is what weight watchers is all about…slow and steady.

The fast loss programs will never last because it is not realistic eating. We have to be able to eat normal, have birthday cake or pie or ice-cream once in a while and NOT feel guilty or gain weight doing so. With the bonus plus points you can, but still must be sensible. If one is eating wrong carbs as the daily point system, one will not get the best results. What is the deffinition of “insanity”?….doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So anyone not losing…take a hard look at where the points are coming from! Eating fruit with a meal? Bad idea. Eating too many simple carbs (processed anything, white flour products, sugar…spells disastor. Eating healthy, eating a balance of protein, slow carbs and fast carbs…success.! What are fast carbs? Once in a while it may be desert…potatoes are fast carb. Any veggie high on the glycemic index is a fast carb.

Bottom line…Weight Watchers is a food lovers program. No strict “you can’t have this or that” only eat this or that…it is a program you can live with the rest of your life because it teaches us portion control.

Weight Watcher is NOT a DIET….notice the first three letters of DIET? =DIE…hmmm, no wonder people get sick when they go on a diet. Our body was designed to metabolize REAL food. And when you can cook for your family and eat what you are preparing…that is living. Just cook in a healthy way.

Dreamfields makes a high fiber pasta for the pasta lovers and is healthy. Plus it tastes like the cheap stuff, but better for you. Say “Yes to Cookies” is great in the chocolate for those needing that satisfaction. ME>>>>yep, I eat one daily! Only 2 points and counts toward the Omeaga fats. Very healthy cookie that actually tastes good. I like the chocolate, not real fond of the other flavors, but I am a chocoholic…go figure. Aren’t most women?

Go to http://www.netrition.com and you will get the best prices on low carb foods, and the pasta is not at all expensive. $2.49 a box. Cookies run a little over $6, but here is a dozen in a container, about 3 inch, and very filling and healthy. And of course there are all the WW products to select from as well. I get the snack size chocolate ice cream bars, YUMMY and less than one point per bar.

68 Heather August 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Hey,
My mom & I have done WW before, just the original points program. We are really wanting to start again, but with the new pointsplus program. Is there any way that you could share with me how you calculate your points and how many points you can have a day?
any information that you could share with me would be fantastic.
& congrats on the weight loss. my dad lost 60 lbs on ww the first time we did it. truely works.
i look forward to hearing from you. keep up the good work. (:

69 Pamela August 31, 2011 at 10:01 am

I am down 4 pounds from this past Monday…it does work! The points plus values are different that the old program so toss out the old and in with the new. They do not jive together. Joining best time is now…get one month FREE and online tools FREE. It is $39.95. Get to a meeting a.s.a.p. and your leader will go over everything. There is an online tracker that will configure your points. Most who need to lose will have 29 base points and 49 value points for the week to bank off of. Fruit is FREE…but serving size is best way to determine. Not eat it all day long as some have done. Sometimes our taste buds over rule our satisfied level. So best to just figure a serving size and 5 per day of fruits and veggies that are FREE. Calculate all the rest. At your first meeting you will get the getting started materials. I can not stress how important it is to at least get to that first meeting. This is not the same as the old plan and those mixing it are not as successful. This is a very healthy lifestyle change and learning to choose power foods is important. So…don’t wait, get in on the unlimited meetings and free online tools for only $39.95 a month and get your second month FREE!

70 Amber September 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Way to go. When I started my weight loss journey with Weight Watchers I was 250. Im now down to 140. Its a great program if you stay with it. Congrats…

71 Sooo Fed UP September 21, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Just decided to sign up with POINTS Plus. Does anyone know if meetings coming with the online membership?

72 MARIA September 22, 2011 at 9:33 am

They do not – totally separate.

73 Abby October 18, 2011 at 6:56 am

Hey! I’m joining the WW Online program, too. I’m a binge eater (I’ll go on like a week-long binge) and I’ve gained like 40 lbs in the past year. I’m so disgusted in myself. Hopefully I can stop eating emotionally and just be like normal people out there and eat when I’m hungry…

74 lacy October 20, 2011 at 10:03 am

My major problem is chocolate and junk food. Anything sweet!! I’ve never been over 120 and got married and here came the weight. I’m 150 now and it’s awful. Between work and school it seems like I don’t have time to work out or try to diet with kids especially and always on the go. I’m considering the WW program but wanted to read reviews first. I’m hoping I can at least wear a size 4 again one day haha.

75 Jazzy naz December 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I am in the same boat I was 125 slowly creeped up to 150 now I can’t fit any of my clothes

76 Tina November 3, 2011 at 10:57 am

I have had success with WW Point Program. However, I failed the program and gained back the 80lbs that I had lost. I did have bariatric surgery last January and now have lost 90.2lbs. The weight loss has slowed and I have found that my eating habits are starting to get bad again. I have started journaling and researching the WW Points Plus to lose the remaining 25.8lbs that I have. I like your blog and find it interesting. However, I am confused as to why the top is still from January and week 1? How is your program going now that you are almost a year into it?

77 colette November 10, 2011 at 7:07 am

I lost 6.2 pounds my first week on weight watchers,,, I am now in my second week and I have not lost a single pound yet and I am already halfway through…. I am not sure this is going to work for me….. but I will try to give it another week and see what happens

78 Tina November 10, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Colette,
I wouldn’t weight myself until your designated weigh in day. This can eliminate discourgement if you haven’t lost within 2-3 days. If you follow the program faithfully, it will produce the results you are looking for. Just keep going :)

Tina

79 Abby November 10, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Yeah, WW isn’t really a great success for me either, Colette… :\
And I’m only weighing myself once a week. I guess I just need more will power and motivation. It’s difficult online to track the message feeds. To me, the website community is poorly constructed.

80 Jen January 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I really enjoyed reading this post. I hope you have more to read. Encouraging and straight to the point. NO FLUFF :) I have been on ww for 7 days now and its not that hard… I just think that because i can’t eat a whole medium pizza anymore, makes me want to eat a whole medium pizza…Its all in my head. So I try not to think about it. I think its also a little bit harder to do ww alone…as i am doing. But i will get through it and i believe deeply that i will succeed. Good luck to you!

Jen :)

81 Tricia January 8, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Maria, congraulations for joining and for a successful week! I just joined WW today (mtgs). I’m looking for an app that will let me track points, without paying the additional fee to ww. I believe just to use the WW IPhone app, I need to pay extra…? Do you or anyone else have any recomendations? I’m trying out an app called Nutrition. I notice that it counted my fresh fruits as points today.

82 karen January 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Hi Tricia,

To get the ww app you need to subscribe to etools or so that is what I was told at the meetings. However at your meeting ask your leader about the ww calculater…its amazing…very small and compact and it keeps track of your points alowance .I use it while doing groceries to see what foods fit within my points range. I have been on ww now for for almost 3 weeks and am down 14lbs. It was hard the first week trying to change my habits….but I realized I used to eat when i got bored so I try to keep myself busy.

83 Wendy January 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Hi there – just jumping in here, I found your blog by accident. Congrats on a great first week!!! That is very encouraging to me. I joined the online program on Sunday, so today is Day 5 of my first week. It’s been a challenge to say the least to stick within the points and not feel hungry all the time. The first day was the worst, the last few haven’t been as torturous. I’ve tried to resist the temptation to weigh before Sunday but I have almost no willpower lol (the first time I was up a pound from my starting weight, yesterday I was down 2 pounds). I wish you great success and hope you will keep posting your progress.

84 Tricia January 17, 2012 at 11:22 am

Hi Wendy.
Sounds like we joined around the same time. How’s it going for you? Sun. I just finished my 1st week and was down 2.6 lb. I couldn’t believe it.

Did you realize the original post we both replied to was from Jan of last year? I just realized that myself.

Keep me posted on your progress!

85 Wendy January 19, 2012 at 11:57 am

Hey Tricia,

Yeah, I noticed the date after I’d already hit send. Oh well.

I had a great first week (5 lbs down), the second week – so far – isn’t quite as dramatic. But I really need to lock that scale up until my actual weigh-in day, the daily fluctuations are not helping but I can’t seem to resist!!

I saw your post about the IPhone app. I signed up for online only, so I’m not sure what you get if you sign up for meetings. Do you have access to the WW website to use the point tracker there? If you do, then you should be able to use the IPhone app as well. The app itself is free to download, but you need to have a membership to access the points tracker and a bunch of other stuff. I sign in with the same name/password as the website.

I’ve included my email above if you’d like to reply directly rather than through the blog :-)

86 Krista January 15, 2012 at 1:26 am

Maria, Congrats on your very successful first week! I’m hoping to join online this week. That program fits my budget better and your posts have been very motivating! One question tho..does anyone know since you have access to all the tools online, are you allowed to buy the books as well? Thanks

87 Ali January 20, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Hi! Can I follow along? I started WW 3 days ago. I have twin one year old girls ( just had birthday). Still nursing. Also have a 3 year old girl. Haven’t pushed weight loss until now since nursing but I don’t feel the twins”need” excellent quality milk anymore since they are awesome at solids. I started WW with 40 points since nursing. I put exclusive nursing since I have 2 and they don’t ask how many kids. I’m 5 ft 2 and starting at 152. Does that sound like a reasonable # points? Seems kinda hard to use all these points.

88 karen January 23, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Hi ali, welcome. Well that does seem like alot of points, maybe because you are nursing. I weigh 161 and i have been given 27 points daily. I don’t feel hungry and even a few days i still had 2 or 3 points left. I go to meetings once a week and also have etools. I am very motivated and have so much more energy. Good luck to all!

89 MARIA January 26, 2012 at 8:42 am

Hi Everyone, Thanks so much for all your comments and discussion. I’ve decided to get back on the WW train and just posted about the new Points Plus 2012 program here: http://boredmommyblog.com/2012/01/26/weight-watchers-points-plus-2012/ – Would love to hear what you think about it!

90 Vicky January 26, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I joined WW January 10th the 1st week I lost 7.8 lbs the 2nd week 5 pounds I am extremely over weight I gave about 90 lbs to lose. The WW app is great I’m nit sure if I could do the diet with out it. Looking for friends and some support.

91 Donna January 30, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I’m thinking of joining the new weight watchers points plus 2012. I’m a busy grandma who takes care of a lot of family elder sister-in-law who lives with me grandchildren while one goes to college one who goes to work thrid shift with a 2 year old and a new one in march a husband who works 12 hour shifts that likes to feed his crew with home cooking I feel like there no time for me I need to lose about 50 pounds I’m torn between meeting and online It looks like online is winning but I need support from others because theres none at home hope to find some with others online

92 Kim January 31, 2012 at 9:19 am

Hi! I am so happy to have found a blog where people are starting weight watchers!!! My name is Kim, I’m 34 and am from Canada. I have battled my weight ALL MY LIFE and have never won… I NEED to lose 120 lbs ( I know, it’s a lot!!!). My husband and I started Weight Watchers 4 weeks ago. We don’t do it online and we don’t go to meetings, we are doing it all on our own. This must be my 3rd or 4th attemps at this… The difference this time is that Hubby is doing it with me. I told him how important his role is in my losing weight. I need the support, I need to talk about it, I need someone to feel excited about it like I am. So at first he played his role very well, he must have been pretending because to be honnest, counting points was not appealing to him. BUT, after 4 weeks of this, he is really onboard and is not pretending anymore! He actually loves the way we are eating now and we both lost 15 lbs already!!! We also bought a treadmill and we do it everyday. I do 30 minutes of power walking every morning with a good incline and then I am done.

Girls, WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m looking forward to hearing you on Monday mornings. We also weigh in on Monday mornings. EXCITED!!!!!

93 Karen February 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm

i love your blog! you are right on point on this WW thing! this is my first week as well! though I am hungry at time and I dont want to eat another fruit, its better than running to the vending machine. now I am so conscious of what i put in my mouth..
again love your blog!

94 MARIA February 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Thanks so much Karen!

95 Traci February 2, 2012 at 9:56 am

Love your review and your website. My husband and I are going to start weight watchers online next week. I’ve just hit the 70 pounds lost mark doing Herbalife shakes which I LOVE however, I need a plan that allows me to have food. Congrats on your 6.5 pound loss…..keep up the good work!!

96 jean February 5, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I am now beginning my weightloss journey. May I join you? I have … gulp….70 to lose. I didn’t realize it until I had to weigh myself at the hospital last night….

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 6 trackbacks }