Weight Watchers Points Plus: And So We Meet Again

25th August 2011

So here’s the truth of the matter – I give up on myself very easily. I am a genius and a pro at talking myself out of things and convincing myself that I can’t do it.

A perfect example – my weight.

I start a “diet” (HATE that word) I succeed for a bit, get really overwhelmed by how much I need to lose overall, and give up. I do that every time I try to lose weight. Every time.

Sadly, this just causes the weight to go up, and the struggle gets harder and harder.

I joined Weight Watchers a while back when I heard that they had a new program – I wanted to try it out and see what the fuss was all about. So I did, and I blogged about it here, and here and here. Yes, I lasted three pathetic weeks.

What is most interesting about those three posts, is that they get HUNDREDS of hits every day. Seriously, a TON of hits. And so, whenever I look at my stats, I see Weight Watchers over and over again. I’m grateful for every hit, but also feel like a complete ass when I see them.

Why did i quit again? WHY didn’t i keep it up and interact with all these wonderful people who keep commenting, and benefit from their support?

You see where this is going? Yes, I decided to re-join and really give it a shot. And I made myself a promise, that even if I do NOTHING the entire week, I will still go and pay my $17 bucks each and every week. I will get my ass there no matter what.

My goals? I’ve also tweaked them into reality – I realize that I have a lot of weight that I want to lose. This can’t be done in a month or two. Instead, I’ve decided to give myself  a year to lose the weight. Blogher 2012 in New York City is my goal date to get to my goal weight – approximately one year to lose a crapload of weight – 100 pounds or so.

One year, one hundred pounds.

I have two choices – I can succeed or i can fail.

We’ll see what happens.

54 thoughts on “Weight Watchers Points Plus: And So We Meet Again

1. PrincessJenn

What about setting smaller goals and rewards for yourself.
    Like ‘If I lose 10lbs, I get to buy this. And when I lose 25lbs I get to buy this’.
    A big number can seem sooooo overwhelming. But something smaller (with a big reward at the end) might up the motivation to stay with it on the days where you just want to walk away.
    Good luck girl! I know you can do it!!

*now going to take my own advice and get off my fat ass*

1. MARIA Post author

I’m going to do that in my next post I think – it will make 100 seem less painful for sure. And thanks so much Jenn, you’re always one of the first people to support me and send me good vibes. I really appreciate it!!

2. Dawn

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! My DH lost 30 lbs (in a typical male-short-period-of-time) on WW at work. I just started cooking better for him, and low and behold, I lost 15 pounds, too! It’s not a diet… it’s a lifestyle change, that’s it!
    BEst of luck! Look forward to hearing about your journey! Here & on twitter!

1. MARIA Post author

Thanks Dawn!

My husband stops drinking pop and loses a ton in a week – it’s so annoying. Good for you on the 15lbs – that’s awesome!!

3. mumby

100!!!! WOW! that’s a goal alright! I know so many people that have been successful with WW. YOu can do it! Even if its not WW, every sucessful long-time “loser” says the key to it is food journaling.. which ultimately is the key to WW. See you in NY ;o)

4. Karen

OK FIRST of all…. we need to change your mind set. STOP looking at it that you always give up! Instead, remind yourself that in spite of the of past “failures” that you actually KEEP TRYING! You can do this! I know you can! I’ve been in a rut too after all of my success last year and I’ve gained back 20 of the 30 I lost. I gained it back after losing my mom. Time for me to get back at it too! You know I’ll be here to cheer you on lady!

1. MARIA Post author

You’re right Karen, positive I am not – especially when it comes to myself. I happily accept you as part of my cheering section!! I’m there for you too!!

5. Jenny Georgio-who

I quit weight watchers because I got so frustrated. I would show up each week with my meal tracker ready to step on the scale and see some sort of result. I NEVER got it. Honestly, I would weigh in and either lost .6 lbs or gained it. I was there for 3 months and I lost a total of 1.2 lbs. (Okay so I was pregnant and didn’t know it at first but c’mon!)

I’ve been very interested in trying it out now that there is a new points system. My goal is 20lbs by Blogeher2012. Let’s do it and support one another!

6. Jess - This is Worthwhile

You can do this! I have weight to lose, too! Not as much, but it’s still a good chunk. I’ve given myself till the end of the year to lose 20-25 lbs. I haven’t even figured out how I’m gonna do it. I wish it’d just melt off already haha.

xxoo

(Use those DVDs, goddamnit!)

7. Chantal

Hugs Maria, it can be so hard! I had success with WW 7 years ago. I lost 40lbs with their help (and my own determination). I haven’t been that determined since, and so I am back up 20lbs. You can do it!! Find a leader who inspires you. That was the trick for me.

1. MARIA Post author

Thanks Chantal. It’s great to hear that you had success with it – gives this fat lady some hope!!

8. melissa

It’s funny, I wrote a pretty similar post today as part of my Therapy Thursday series. The fact that my weight is “weighing” (pun sort of intended) on my mind all the time, yet I never stick with anything that I start. So annoying, right? It is one thing that I really don’t understand about myself.

I have about 60 lbs to lose, and I set a goal to lose 50 of them BlogHer ’12, the last 10 by the end of 2012 (because they always say the last 10 are the hardest to lose right?). I broke it up into small chunks/goals so that the overall goal doesn’t look so daunting.

15 lbs by our trip to Disney World (Thanksgiving)
    5 lbs by my son’s first birthday (Christmas)
    10 lbs by the start of my “busy season” at work (beginning of March)
    10 lbs by the start of summer (beginning of June)
    10 lbs by BlogHer (August)

It works out to be roughly 5 lbs a month, which I am pretty sure I can do. I’m not looking forward to it really, but I know I need to do it and I was reminded of that in therapy this week, which I write about. I know it’ll be better, I’ll feel better and it’s what I need to do, so…bah. I’ll do it.

Good luck with your goals!!! I’ll be cheering you on!! 🙂

1. MARIA Post author

Thanks Melissa!! I’m going to cheer you on too!!! Sounds like there are going to be some hotties at Blogher next year!!

9. Cate

Congrats and good luck!

Once it becomes a “lifestyle change” rather than a “diet program,” it seems to get much easier. I lost 16 lbs in 2008 and the first month was the HARDEST! After that, it was just routine.

10. Mary Grace

I joined Weight Watchers almost 2 years ago. I did really good for a few months, lost 12-15 lbs. Then summer time came and I quit. Of course I gained it all back plus some. I tried a couple of different diets in the last year. Two weeks ago, I joined again. The first time I did it online, but this time I am going to meetings and have a good friend going with me. Today is weigh in day, so we’ll see…

11. Nicole

Good luck! I would echo suggestions to break that weight loss down into smaller goals – and remember, smaller weight loss still contributes to the goal. So don’t get overwhelmed, just remember that a ten pound loss is still a great accomplishment! I’m really cheering for you – you can do it!

12. Julie

Good for you! You know, for someone who gives up easily, you have a gorgeous site and what looks to be a pretty great readership;) Something tells me you know how to hit goals. Wishing you much luck and support!

13. Stephanie

I’m doing the SAME EXACT THING. I started in June. I had my son and then twins 13 months later, and I decided I need to be the healthiest I can be for them. I lost 18 lbs so far, but I totally fell of the wagon this past week, just being busy and ‘estimating’ points, and I temporarily lost sight of what I was doing and why. I am TRYING to get back into the swing of things, but we’re looking into moving out of state now for my husband’s work, and that’s freaking me right out. I’m a little off balance right now. Just know I am doing pretty much the EXACT same thing and I really want to get to BlogHer’12 myself. Good luck! Feels good to know someone else is in my shoes!

1. MARIA Post author

Thanks Stephanie, and Good Luck to you too!!! There are so many fellow bloggers on Weight Watchers that I might add a linky on my future posts too!

14. Liz W

Good luck Maria – I know you can do this because after multiple tries at WW myself, I managed to lose 30+ lbs. What I couldn’t handle was the in person meetings so I finally found success with the online program. I’ll be rooting for you!

15. Lynn

Wish I had some extremely wise and and encouraging words for you, but I’m often in the same boat as you. I start myself on a diet, try it, and give up. And I rarely last more than a couple days. But I like what one of the commenters said above: instead of thinking that I keep giving up, and I need to see how I keep on trying. Eventually I’ll find something that works for me…

Sorry to sound like such a downer. I’ll end on a positive note. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

16. ShannonL

You go, girl! I don’t have much more to say after all of the encouraging comments, except that I know exactly how you feel. I hate the size I am, but I don’t do anything about it. Or I do something for like a month and then I cave and eat a poutine. 😉 Good luck! Maybe your posts will actually inspire me to get back on the Points!

17. Tori

I just joined WW on August 28!! I am excited!! I need to lose 30 pounds. I joined WW to help me learn to eat right. I eat like crap all.the.time.
    Good luck to you!!!

18. Kristen

I’m not sure if this will help.. but I read one time about a study that found that people who talk a lot about making changes in their life are way less likely to make said changes than people who don’t. It has something to do with the fact that the “talk” makes you feel like you are already doing something, and already “succeeding”, and you get the satisfaction of attention and encouragement from your peers. It sort of feels like you are doing the thing, or that you have already succeeded, even though you really have only just begun. Ever hear someone say “put up or shut up”? Or how about “all talk, no action”? I quit smoking & dropped 60 pounds, but didn’t share the joy of my success until I got to where I wanted to be. Plus, when I slipped up here and there (you know, 2 steps forward, 1 step back) it was way less of a public humiliation. Anyhow.. something to think about! Be kind to yourself!

1. MARIA Post author

You know what Kristen – I have to agree with you 100%. I keep talking about it in hopes that the support will help me, but it ends up being a “feeling bad/humiliated” type thing and I find it doesn’t actually help me personally at all. I told myself that from now on I will only post updates as I lose the weight and reach certain goals, as opposed to weekly posts. Thanks for your comment!!

19. Mandy

I’m so grateful I found this post. A friend has been on WW for 7 weeks / 16 lbs. I’ve been thinking about it & stopped by WW yesterday to pick up info. I also have a lot to lose. You ladies are encouraging me to give it a try. I feel overwhelmed & will try looking at it as 10 lbs at a time :-). Pretty & thin are great but in my mid 40’s, I’ve become more concerned about my health & how I feel (physically & mentally).

20. Barbie

Sooooo, I think I wrote your blog! I sound just like you. I have been contemplating going on a diet for over a month. I am terrorizing myself!! I want to be healthy..I have a husband who loves me fat or thin(I’m LUCKY)! I guess I need to do the same thing…GO TO THE MEETINGS! My problem is I always feel so guilty taking any time for myself. If I could just go to that first meeting, maybe it would start the process…. Everyone else needs me more than I need myself. I litterally don’t know how to find the time to do this. I don’t ever plan meals, so that is a major problem! We eat out soo much. That needs to change. OVERWHELMING….i can hype myself up and in the same breath, find every reason why I can’t do it!! Hope all is going great for you this time around!!!!!

21. Nancy

The program is great. I lost 40 lbs. – it took me 9 months. I’ve maintained the loss so far for 4 months. Going to the meetings and having that “reset button” once a weeks is so helpful for me. Also, I eat chocolate every. day. This program is definitely a lifestyle change and a lifestyle without chocolate just isn’t worth living. Best wishes to you – your blog gave me a good laugh today (I googled “points plus blogs.”

22. kj

Started in July and todate lost 16 lbs. Girlfriend this is soooooooooo important for your health. Recently had cancer surgery and my medical onocoligst at Sloan kettering said get the weight off. Thank the Lord I had already started WW. She said she tells every one to do WW. Cancer thrives in fat cells. We have only one chance with this body and we better take care. PS This is about my 4th time to join but this a now or never things.

23. Christine A.

Hello,
    I had done weight watchers a few years back in college and at my lightest I had lost a 63lbs. I have not faithfully followed weight watchers since a little bit before the new program was introduced because I didn’t want to go through the adjustment period of getting used to the POINTS changes. I have unfortunately slowly been gaining some weight back, I have gained about 12 lbs back, and it has started to catch up to me and make me feel unhappy about potentially going back to the heavy me. I recently started the weight watchers Points Plus program because I didn’t want to get in to deep without taking control, but I am starting to remember (being at the end of my Week 1) how hard it is to stay committed. I found your blog and read all of your entries, because I wanted to see what others had to say. I just want to say, don’t give up! Keep writing it is a great way to be honest and to really reflect on the journey you are about to take part in. I would love to follow your blog and your journey because it is an inspiration to all of us who would like to be on this journey of weight loss with you. Keep small goals in mind and I know you can reach your ultimate goal in the future when it makes sense. I really hope you continue to write about your experience because it would not only help yourself reflect on your journey, but it would help and inspire me to keep with it!

KEEP WRITING–I’M A FAN! 🙂

24. Sommer Reid

My new love affair may just be your blog! Love your brutal honesty… So refreshing!!! Please keep going on your journey!!!! Just said to my husband the other day that all these diets don’t work — his response, “because you don’t actually do them past the first week”. Well I’m going to try along side you! Keep up the good work! Xoxo

25. jodie cleaver

So I was looking for some info about the ww program and found you..Trying to save a buck ordered the essential member kit and point plus calculator off ebay…well unfortunatly I thought I could plug a couple numbers in and I would know how many pts I could have…Not so…anyways good luck I hope you continue towards your goal..Coming from someone that hates the scale-mirrors-and khakis (work pants) and could stand to lose 80-100 lbs I wish you luck!!!

and anyone with info on the pts plus program like how many pts I can have..feel free to email.

thanks jodie

26. Tina

I just found your blog as I was searching for WW reviews. I have to say that reading your blogs about WW makes me feel like I wrote them. ESPECIALLY, your week 2 blog. I don’t know what it is about the second week, but it is always the hardest for me!! And, by week 3 I usually quit too.

I cracked up when I saw your August rejoin post! Why? Because, like I said, I feel like I wrote these blogs. I KNEW that post would be here. Thankfully, it was. I am considering rejoining WW (I think this is my 4th or 5th time!) and just wanted to hear (read) some real stories. Honestly, I don’t know what I was looking for – a magic bullet of sorts I guess. Sigh. I don’t know. I know I JUST HAVE TO DO IT but the thought of shedding 60 pounds is overwhelming yet two pounds a week seems so small even though I know it’s hard as hell to lose it consistently.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you continue to post your progress (or digress for that matter) it does help. Because of your post I may go ahead and rejoin WW and give another try.

Thanks again!

27. Gail

There is a program for Andriod phones called Ultimate Weight which is a perfect program to track, calculate all points and exercise. Has built in diary & food database. Can download free barcode scanner & scan in UPC codes, even calculates points! Great program & easy to use. Also, check out skinnytaste.com for food recipes with points already calculated. Hope this helps.