Mar

March To Blogher – A Trip to the Dietician

by MARIA on March 1, 2012

Happy March my friends.

I’m starting a new thing on here that I’m calling March to Blogher.

What is it?

I’m planning on going to Blogher in August, and like most people, I want to look my best when I’m surrounded by hundreds (thousands) of fabulous bloggers that I adore and respect. So, I’m giving myself a challenge and calling it March to Blogher!

The real long-term goal here is to get healthy and get to a healthy weight. Will I get to my goal by Blogher – sadly, no because I have too much to lose. However I can make a great dent in it for sure, and I know I can make a difference in how I feel overall.

Since it’s March 1st, I’m starting today and plan to blog every week on Thursday, and I would LOVE for you to join me.

You don’t have to be doing a certain diet or losing a certain amount or anything like that. You can write about anything that you’re doing each week to get healthier – it’s up to you. It’s really about supporting each other, no matter what plan you are following or exercise you’re doing and inevitably, we can all learn from each other’s success and failures. So, if you would like to join me, grab a badge (badge to come!) and sign up using the linky below – hopefully, once this gets going, there will be several of us supporting each other and finding each other through the linky.

And if not, I’ll be here doing it on my own. Ahem.

SO, yesterday I had an appointment with a dietician for the first time. She was really sweet and honest and it was an eye opener for sure. She asked me some basic questions, then asked me what I ate during the day and how often, etc. She was kind of shocked by what I told her and I was kind of shocked by what she told me – we schooled each other basically.

What did I learn?

Surprisingly, she told me that I was not eating enough and wasn’t eating meals spaced throughout the day so that my metabolism would work properly. She also said I have to give up Diet Coke, which I knew but it’s hard to hear regardless. I was actually expecting really strict rules and guidelines from her but that’s not what I got at all. What she suggested is very doable and realistic and it all made sense. I’m going to visit her once a month, and we’ll tweak the guidelines if needed then.

Here are the actual recommendations she gave me and honestly, I think they’ll work for anyone so please feel free to use them as well.

• Eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks spaced 3-4 hours apart – This one is crucial for me because my metabolism is totally screwed up right now. Also, when you don’t eat regularly, your body just holds onto everything on your body for dear life because it’s in starvation mode – ie. it’s much harder to lose weight.
  • Eat from 3 of the 4 food groups for meals, and eat 2 of the 4 food groups for snacks – The food groups I mention are those in Canada’s Food Guide. She told me that there is a lot of science behind the food guide and so as long as I follow the suggested serving sizes, that counting calories wasn’t actually necessary. She said that the goal is to get into a pattern where you are eating the right amount from the recommended food groups – this essentially cuts out junk food, sugar, crap and the like. She also mentioned that being able to eat like this is very sustainable for a healthy lifestyle long-term.
  • Eat breakfast within one hour of waking up – This one is key and she said it’s super important to eat within an hour of waking up to get your metabolism going.
  • If eating an evening snack (and an insomniac like me) eat a starch and dairy – When I mentioned I wasn’t sleeping, she suggested I eat a snack that contained one serving of starch and one dairy, to help me sleep.
  • Drink water as your main beverage – If I’m feeling bloated it means I’ve had way too much salt – water will help get rid of that water your body is holding on to, and water is essential to being healthy.
  • Walk daily or exercise in some way every day – She suggested I start slow, with ten minutes and add to it every day until I can get to at least 30 minutes.
  • Get at least 7 hours of sleep every night – She couldn’t believe how little I was sleeping and said that unless I start sleeping more hours, weight loss will be harder to achieve.
She also made a point of telling me that I should be losing 2 pounds a week MAX. In the first couple of weeks, the numbers may be higher because my body will inevitably drop water weight that it has probably been holding on to, however it should level out after that. Losing more than two pounds a week really affects your skin’s ability to bounce back and results in loose skin that so many people have when losing large amounts of weight quickly. Loose skin – me no likey.

So the plan for this first week? Incorporate the recommendations that the dietician gave me, drink water as my main drink and lots of it, and move/work out every day in some way, and we’ll see what happens. Are you working on getting healthier? It doesn’t matter if you’re just starting or have been at it for a while, link up so that I can visit and support you too!

Five months to go until Blogher!! I would love it if you would join me!

Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets — Thumb-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.

1 nicole March 1, 2012 at 4:34 pm

So proud of you for going to a dietitian. I think what she said to do is very practical. I know that you are probably beating yourself up about having to start again on this journey, but don’t. Every effort is worthwhile. I linked today–it is not actually a post about doing anything to get healthier. I just happened to write about loving my legs and challenging my readers to notice one thing they like about themselves, physically speaking. We’ve got to see the good we have before we can really change the rest I think. We need to be saying nice things to ourselves. Can’t wait to see you succeed Maria!

2 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Thanks so much Nicole. You’ve been so nice and supportive and I appreciate it so much! Thanks for linking up!

3 Amber @ Backwards Life March 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I just had a baby and gained, ummm something like 50lbs. I’ve already lost over 30lbs (in less than 2 weeks, HELLO water weight!). So that leaves me with roughly 15lbs till I’m back to pre-preg. BUT BUT BUT I still had 20lbs from my first pregnancy. Soooo 35?

I’m breastfeeding again this time, with hopes that it will work it’s magic fat melting powers. I’m not holding my breath though, since it didn’t melt an oz last time.

Once I’m able to start working out I’ll be doing the Couch to 5K program again to train for a Mud Run in June (and maybe a Color Run in August).

I guess it’s implied that I’m going to BlogHer as well :-) Good luck to us both!!!

4 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Hi Amber,

Thanks so much for your comment and congrats on the babe!! Look forward to hearing more C25K!!

5 Amber @ Backwards Life March 3, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I’m excited too! Just added your badge to my sidebar :-) Linked it back to all your posts tagged with “March to Blogher”.

6 MARIA March 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Thanks so much Amber!!

7 Mumby March 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm

You’re just great. you know that? love the honesty and look forward to following! I am back on track next week too. a week long vacay sandwiched btwn 2 buisness trips has thrown me of, but I knew they would… so I just did the best I could and wrote Feb of. I slept n my house for 7 nights in Feb! which obviously, lead to lots of eating out. Back to it on MONDAY! Good luck to us both :-)

8 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Thanks so much for commenting Tricia – you made my day. Good luck to you too, I’m officially in your cheering section!

9 Parent Club March 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm

So proud of you for doing this for yourself as well as inspiring others to do the same. I need to get fitter/take care of myself better and this is my kick in the pants to do it with you!

10 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Woo! Thanks so much Caroline. Couldn’t adore you more if I tried! Would love to have you along!

11 ann-marie March 1, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Maria – you just found another supporter and very likely joiner! I could fill too much space writing on WHY I need to join you on this quest – the key selling point is you’re taking simple, mamageable steps and you will succeed!!! well done!

12 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Thanks so much Anne-Marie!! Thrilled to have you!

13 Candace Derickx March 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I adore you, truly. I can’t wait to spend time with you at BlogHer this year. You were one of the true highlights of Blissdom for me. I’ve been negligent with my fitness as of late so while I won’t join you on losing weight, I will join you on getting fit. Totally in agreement with your dietitian about breakfast btw. I have oatmeal at least five mornings a week. Boring and predictable but a great, healthy way to start the day.

14 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Thanks Candace!! And I’m planning to eat oatmeal pretty much every day too. I actually like it and if it helps me lose weight – double win. I can’t wait to spend time with you in NYC too!

15 Liz@ Learning to Juggle March 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I love this!! Your docs recommendations are so reasonable and realistic, I’m definitely going to join you, I’m determined to get fit for Blogher!!!

16 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Yay!! Thanks Liz!

17 Corinne @ Have Baby Will Travel March 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm

You can do it! I’ve started daily yoga and already feel a difference. The trick is to keep it up! Let’s inspire each other.

18 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Thank you so much Corinne! Thrilled to have your support!

19 Liz @ Learning to Juggle March 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Sounds like you found an amazing dietician, all of her recs are so realistic. I’ll definitely be joining you – I am determined to go to Blogher feeling good about myself (or at least better than I do now).

20 Karengreeners March 1, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I reignited my committment to get in better shape this week, too. Have stopped snacking at night (my downfall) and actually hit the gym. I’ll keep it up if you will.

21 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 9:45 pm

DEAL!! We are going to be hot twins by Blogher!

22 Loukia March 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I love your creative blog post title! And you got me excited for BlogHer now! I am in major need of a lifestyles change with my eating habits lately… I will start ASAP!

23 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Thanks Loukia!

24 SassyModernMom March 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I’ve already learned something here! My bedtime snacks are certainly not the kind that help with my insomnia.
Love what you doing…maybe I will join in…after my vacation!
PS
Do not read my post today:)

25 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Thanks Steph – I hope you do join! Have a great vacay!

26 Cherie-Lynn March 1, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I’m so excited to about getting healthy. BlogHer has been my goal as well. Although exercising is out for me I am trying to be mindful of the food I’m eating. I don’t have a pounds goal in mine but a size, and it’s not even single digits.

27 Jen Banks March 1, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I wish you the very best of luck Maria. I know you can do this!! I have some (okay a lot) of weight to lose after this baby is born. I’ll join you then :)

28 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Thanks Jen!!

29 Kim March 1, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I’m in ! We can do this ! SEE YOU IN NEW YORK BABY !!

30 MARIA March 1, 2012 at 11:41 pm

WOO!!! Yay Kim – so excited you’re on board!!

31 Allison Rouble March 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Hi, I absolutely love reading your posts, I am just recently discovering all that the world of social media has to offer. I want to join in but I am not going to Blogher, so I will just follow along and have my personal goal be that I want to actually wear a bathing suit by the end of the summer and not have it be one of the ones with a skirt on it to hide my butt and thighs.

I need to lose a ton of weight, I am going to blame baby weight and the last pregnancy being twins I figure I can claim double baby weight on that. I refuse to blame my hotdogs that I ate for lunch or my ice tea that I love so much, that would not do me any good.

32 MARIA March 2, 2012 at 1:12 pm

So glad you’re joining Allison!! I’m going to blame pregnancy too except that my youngest is 5, so yeah that doesn’t really hold anymore, unfortunately!

33 Allison Rouble March 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Ha ha ha, my twins are 22 months, and when I was at the doctor a few months ago and I was blaming my fat on the babies, she told me I wasn’t allowed to use that excuse anymore, seems I don’t get double the time for the baby weight reason just because I had two kids at once!

34 Kameron March 2, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I just wrote a post yesterday about this! Well, My weight loss journey not as it relates to blogher. I would be lying if I said it wasn’t part of my motivation! I will stand (run) beside you toward this goal!

35 MARIA March 2, 2012 at 7:09 pm

So happy to hear it Kameron!! Can’t wait to see you at Blogher!!

36 Rebecca March 3, 2012 at 12:30 am

But, but, but! I’m so good at dieting in the morning and not eating anything until my mid afternoon carb attack. And what better way to fuel insomnia and stay awake working than non-stop late night snacking?
Okay, fine, let’s try this new-fangled common sense, science-based approach. (If we lose body weight will that count toward our swag allowance on the flight home?)

37 MARIA March 3, 2012 at 12:31 am

Woo! Rebecca, I’m thrilled Girlie!!

38 melissa March 3, 2012 at 10:56 am

I’m in. I’ve been documenting weight loss on my blog for a few weeks now, so this will just be one more way I am accountable! I need all the help I can get at the moment…

39 MARIA March 3, 2012 at 11:06 am

Welcome Melissa!!

40 Dee Brun March 5, 2012 at 4:04 pm

So long as I don’t have to give up BOOZE…. I am in…

41 MARIA March 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Woo!!

42 Renee Bouillon March 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I’ve been looking at your tweets about this and finally got a minute to actually read your post. What your dietician said hit home for me too. So while I doubt I will lose the 50 pounds I need to lose before BlogHer, I am going to set a more reasonable BlogHer goal of 30 lbs for then and the other 20 for Christmas. I have a little black dress that I purchased and wore for my Grade 11 semi formal that I want to look the same way in for NYE. Also going to reward myself with a new outfit (or two) for BlogHer if I lose the 30 lbs. :D

So I’m MARCHING TO BLOGHER’12 in NYC too!

43 MARIA March 5, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Woo! Thanks for joining Renee!!

44 Amber @ Backwards Life March 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm

We should set up a meet-up at BlogHer once this ball gets rolling and we get to know one another :-)

45 Kristen @ Motherese March 5, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Love this post, Maria. It’s so great of you to share your goals and the tips you got from your dietitian. I’m also fascinated by the differences between the U.S. and the Canadian food guides, especially given how much they affect policy related to food and health in both of our countries.

Good luck with meeting your goals! I’ll be cheering you on as I try to meet some of my own!

46 MARIA March 5, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Thanks so much Kristen!!

47 Nellie March 6, 2012 at 9:48 am

I too have just had a baby and I am trying to drop pounds by the summer as well, Blogher is a great goal to stay motivated, I will join you in your journey!

48 MARIA March 6, 2012 at 9:48 am

Welcome Nellie! Can’t wait to read your posts!

49 Elaine March 7, 2012 at 12:32 am

Good for you for going to talk to an expert on the subject and the plan does sound totally doable. My biggest issue is the water, I SO need to drink more!

And the metabolism thing is SO true! I have a very good friend who is over weight and she eats SO sporadically that I swear that is her main problem. Sometimes she eats only one meal day and she ALWAYS skips breakfast!!

Anyway, you’re going to great and hopefully (we’ll see…..) i’ll finally get to hug you at BlogHer ’12! ;)

50 Mommaexpat March 13, 2012 at 8:18 am

This is exactly what I was looking for. Totally going to be following this and looking to shed weight. Thank you for doing this for us!