Mar

March to Blogher – Setting Up Goals and Rewards

by MARIA on March 8, 2012

If you have no idea what March to Blogher is about – please check out the first post here.

I’m going to talk about how the first week went below, but first, I decided to offer myself some incentives.

The fact is even when you have people supporting you, if you can’t get over that voice in your head telling you can’t do it, you won’t.

Let’s just say that for me personally, that voice is STRONG. I’m such a self-doubter in the weight loss thing, and it’s my biggest downfall by far.

So, I thought that perhaps if I gave myself some goal/reward incentives it might help.

I’ve seen other bloggers do this on their blogs when trying to lose weight and I thought it was a good idea, so here goes.

Personal Goals:

• First Goal: 10 pounds (Reward: Magazine subscription)
  • Second Goal: 20 pounds (Reward: New perfume)
  • Third Goal: 30 pounds (Reward: Sephora!)
  • Fourth Goal:  40 pounds (Reward: Cute flats)
  • Fifth Goal: 5o pounds (Reward: Some new clothes)
  • Sixth Goal: 60 pounds (Reward: New Glasses/Sunglasses)
  • Seventh Goal: 70 pounds (Reward: Massage)
  • Eighth Goal: 80 pounds (Reward: Get my hair done)
  • Ninth Goal: 90 pounds (Reward: Weekend away with my girlies)
  • Final Goal: 100 pounds – GOAL WEIGHT! (Reward: An overpriced, obnoxious handbag)

A couple of these may change or get switched around, depending on when I actually reach them. I’ve also been promised a shopping extravaganza when I reach my goal weight, so that’s some additional incentive for me to do this, once for all.

So, what has happened in the last week?

It was a bit of a lunchbox letdown.

I wasn’t 100% prepared to start on Friday, because I didn’t have the groceries I needed. Big mistake of course. And with the husband gone for two weeks on business, I was kind of exhausted by the end of his trip which coincided with this past week. Excuses, excuses I know.

A bigger problem I had, is that I had some issues with some of the foods that I was supposed to eat. Following the dietician’s suggestions from last week, I tried to eat from Canada’s food guide and stick to the food groups. However, all of the fruit that I ate (except for bananas) gave me unbearable heartburn and acid reflux. It’s not the first time that has happened, but it usually involved drinking juice and not eating the fruit. I also had a lot of stomach pain/bloating, etc (I will spare you the details), when I ate starches and dairy. I don’t really know what’s going on but I had to basically avoid all those foods in order not be in pain. It was weird and uncomfortable, to say the least.

So, for this week, I think I’m going to have to switch the plan up a bit. I still plan on eating healthy and drink a ton of water, but I’m going to focus more on protein and vegetables and see how I feel. Since I’m deviating a bit from the original plan, I’m still unsure on whether I should in fact count calories or keep track of how much I eat using Weight Watchers points (small confession here: I’m actually an online WW member).

Uncertainty does not bode well for me clearly, so I’ll push the restart button and go from here.

I’m adding a linky below as I will each week. I would love for you to link up so that I can stop by your blog and support you on what you’re doing to get healthy. You don’t have to be following a certain diet or anything like that – it’s just about supporting each other for these next five months before Blogher NYC!!! If you’re not going to Blogher, you are more than welcome too!!

Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets — Thumb-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
For best results, use HTML mode to edit this section of the post.

1 Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell March 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

I love your reward system, and I wish you nothing but luck! How come I didn’t get the chance to meet you at Blissdom though? Doggone it.

2 MARIA March 8, 2012 at 10:38 am

Thanks Liz! I wasn’t at Blissdom so that might have something to do with it. :)

3 Sasha March 8, 2012 at 10:44 am

Good for you! I started around the same time too. I love caloriecount.com because you can pick your diet, low-carb, low-cal, low-fat, Mediterranean, vegetarian, diabetic, and some others. I like the low-carb. It’s not Adkins low, its low compared to the daily recommended allowance, it’s still around 115 (for me).

The best thing about it is that doesn’t just track calories, it tells you what key nutrients you’re missing, what you’ve had too much of, and what foods it came from. It’s free so you should check it out, log your foods for a day and see the nutritional analysis they give you. I love seeing what I had that had too much X and what I had that was nutritionally empty. You can add your own meals, recipes, and vitamins.

Anything you do, do it well and do it right. Good luck to you, and to me and all trying-to-be-healthy women. Happy International Women’s Day!

4 MARIA March 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

Thanks so much Sasha – good luck to you!!

5 Lindsey March 8, 2012 at 11:52 am

Good for you! I already eat pretty healthy (thanks to the Cinch diet) but I just started a new at home fitness program a week and a half ago. Let’s all get healthy!

6 MARIA March 8, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Thanks so much Lindsey!

7 carol@thedesignpages March 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I just found you through Stephanie’s blog and I”m SO glad I did. You’re going to be one of my daily reads from now on. Hilarious:) Best of luck in this ongoing battle. I love blogging about my goals because it keeps me honest.

8 MARIA March 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Thanks so much Carol – I so appreciate that!!

9 Renee Bouillon March 8, 2012 at 3:34 pm

When I started my diet the first few times I had issues with fruits too. I think it has something to do with our bodies loving the junk and having to figure out how to use the good stuff again.

10 MARIA March 8, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Good point Renee. We’ll see how I feel next week!

11 Amber March 8, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Baby steps, right? I’m going to link up tonight – I’ve been trying to get back on track. Maybe we can motivate each other!

12 MARIA March 8, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Excellent – thanks so much Amber! Look forward to reading all about it!

13 Amber @ Backwards Life March 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I’m loving the small increment goals! I’ll have to think about mine. I already know which redic overpriced bag I want ;D

14 Katrin March 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I really like your goals that you listed. I have been doing the pedicures every 10 lbs,but never really thought of doing different goals each 10 lbs. I still don’t know what I will do at goal. Enjoyed your blog.

15 MARIA March 10, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Thanks so much Katrin!

16 melissa March 13, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I really need to do some goals like this too. My post today is about how I had a REALLY bad week on the weight front and I’m a little discouraged today. Maybe working on a list of real goals will help get me back in a positive mindset.

17 Liz {Learning to Juggle} March 18, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I’m hoping better late than never applies here as well – I’m struggling with this to be very honest with you – I do love your goals/rewards – I need to do something like this for myself!!

18 MARIA March 18, 2012 at 11:45 pm

You are always welcome! Never too late! Thanks Liz!