Apr

Low Carb Weight Loss – Week Six

by MARIA on April 26, 2012

Week Six, also known as the longest week EVER also known as the husband JUST go back from his business trip.

On the bright side, it’s been 32 DAYS since I’ve had a Diet Coke.  Woo! That’s the longest I’ve EVER gone without Diet Coke since drinking it and I don’t miss it at all. I’m thrilled about it at this point – it’s made a HUGE difference in how I feel. Notice, I didn’t say coffee however. I had a Starbucks latte with my girlfriend yesterday – we needed caffeine as we discussed how to make our husbands more Christian Grey, less annoying. Honestly, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I used to, and yes, my stomach paid for it later. Oh well, the company was worth the gut rot. I don’t plan on making it a regular thing – so I’m cool with it.

I also FINALLY received the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution DVDs that I ordered ages ago. (NOT sponsored, by the way) It’s this three month program that will HOPEFULLY get me in much better shape than I’m in now and what a coincidence, there are three months until Blogher so it kind of works out. It comes with 15 DVDs – 5 for each month and it gets progressively harder as you go. It also comes with a meal plan that is suggested, so I’m a bit stuck as to what I should do in terms of diet. Should I stick with low carb that I’m truthfully a bit bored of at this point but is working, or should I try to incorporate a bit of carbs at breakfast at least, or should I just switch over to her meal plan? Her plan is a 1200 calorie a day plan – I’m not sure what I should do so if you have advice, I would love to hear it.

The most interesting aspect of her “fat burning meal plan” is that she suggests NEVER eating the following when trying to lose weight: “soy, peanuts, pine nuts, millet, bamboo shoots, peaches, strawberries and raw cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts and kale)” because “they have Goitrogenic affects – these are substances that suppress the function of the thyroid gland by interfering with iodine uptake, which can as a result cause an enlargement of the thyroid.” Who knew? Oh, and she also includes “alcohol, flax, more than 400mg of caffeine, MSG, HFCS, artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, artificial flavor, nitrates and heavily processed foods.”

I suppose if I stick with what I’m doing, while making sure I don’t eat any of the above things, I should be good. I’ll guess we’ll see. I’m starting today and plan to take measurements and pics so that I can the difference after three months. Of course, I’m always open to suggestions or advice, so feel free to share if you have some.

So here’s where I’m at with the numbers:

Week Five:

Weight LOST this week: 2.5

Weight Lost to date: 18.0

Weight left to Lose: 82.0

First Goal: 10 pounds (Reward: Magazine subscription) – DONE April 5/12 (ordered subscription to Vanity Fair)

Second Goal: 20 pounds (Reward: New perfume)

Third Goal: 30 pounds (Reward: Sephora!)

Fourth Goal:  40 pounds (Reward: Cute flats)

Fifth Goal: 5o pounds (Reward: Some new clothes)

Sixth Goal: 60 pounds (Reward: New Glasses/Sunglasses)

Seventh Goal: 70 pounds (Reward: Massage)

Eighth Goal: 80 pounds (Reward: Get my hair done)

Ninth Goal: 90 pounds (Reward: Weekend away with my girlies)

Final Goal: 100 pounds – GOAL WEIGHT! (Reward: An overpriced, obnoxious handbag)

How was your week??

• See Week One Here (I explain the jars of gems here)
  • See Week Two Here
  • See Week Three Here
  • See Week Four Here
  • See Week Five Here

1 Kellidaisy April 26, 2012 at 10:24 am

WooHoo!!! You’re doing so amazing! Congrats:)

2 MARIA April 26, 2012 at 10:25 am

Thanks so much Kelli!

3 Amy @ Muddy Boots April 26, 2012 at 10:26 am

Only two more pounds til your next reward! You can definitely do that this week!

As for her food plan, I agree with avoiding soy, peanuts (and all legumes actually), but have never heard about problems with strawberries or peaches! The list you wrote at the end (with the processed foods and HFCS) is spot on. That list of raw veg to avoid maybe has to do with gas? Those are often things that make people gassy and therefore bloated, so maybe that’s the reason? I’m just guessing.

I’d probably keep with the low carb, maybe increasing your carb increase slightly once the intensity of your exercise increases. And even then I’d stick to sweet potatoes.

4 MARIA April 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

That’s great advice – thanks AMy!

5 Alison April 26, 2012 at 10:30 am

1200 calories isa veryow cal diet. I’d stick with what you’re doing as it obviously works. Great job so far!

6 MARIA April 26, 2012 at 10:32 am

Thanks Alison!

7 NPRMommy April 26, 2012 at 10:34 am

you’re doing great!! stick with it….i lost 50 pounds last year…it’s definitely worth the struggle!!!!

8 MARIA April 26, 2012 at 10:36 am

Thanks – and 50 is a great accoomplishment! Can’t wait until I get there!!

9 Lindsey April 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

I am so excited for you!! This is the BEST! Way to go! So excited to hear what perfume you get. :)
PS That last Jillian food list I thought was what you COULD have. hahhaha

10 MARIA April 26, 2012 at 10:56 am

Ha. Thanks Lindsey!!

11 Sandy April 26, 2012 at 11:02 am

So happy for you!!!

12 MARIA April 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

Thanks Sandy!

13 Chantal April 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

you are rocking this! and so close to your next goal. I wouldn’t change your diet yet. Maybe if you find your at a plateau you can use a change to kick start things.
Way to go Maria!

14 MARIA April 26, 2012 at 11:05 am

Thanks Chantal!

15 nicole April 26, 2012 at 11:21 am

Oh how I love reading about your progress! You’re doing so well!

I am suspicious of any list that says don’t eat raw vegetables–if that is how they’re grown then I think it is fine to eat them raw. But maybe I’m just stubborn. I say incorporate what is realistic for you and go from there. If you start making it too complicated or stringent you’re more likely to slip, in my opinion.

Keep up the good work Maria!

16 MARIA April 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

You’re right, Nicole. Thanks so much!!

17 Brandee April 26, 2012 at 11:32 am

You’re doing great! 1200 calories seems pretty low to me, especially with an intensive exercise program. I think that I might stick with what you are doing for now, if it’s working for you, addin the workouts, and see how it goes. You can always switch later, right?

I hear you about not enjoying things as much anymore too. I had a burger at a restaurant this week after not having one for ages, and it really didn’t taste that good. I warned what I had thought was so great about it in the first place, honestly.

Keeps it up! :)

18 MARIA April 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thanks Brandee!

19 Alicia April 26, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Yay Maria!! I am so excited for you!!! Good for you on giving up DC AND coffee! I gave up DC, but not the coffee. And thanks for sharing about what not to eat that interferes with your thyroid. I already have thyroid problems. I guess no more juiced kale for me!
PS-thanks for inspiring me to lose the baby weight! I am down 9lbs

20 MARIA April 26, 2012 at 5:03 pm

That’s awesome Alicia!! Congrats!!

21 Elaine April 26, 2012 at 11:37 pm

So can you have steamed/cooked veggies like the ones listed above? Just curious… That is very interesting. But hey, she looks damn good so she much be doing something right, right?! ;)

Great job this week, girl!

22 MARIA April 27, 2012 at 1:37 am

Yes, steamed are fine – but not raw. It’s the first time I’ve ever read that anywhere but you’re right, she looks amazing so why mess with it? Thanks so much Elaine!

23 Richard April 29, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Keep up the good work and don’t despair. If a day doesn’t go as planned, just use BAM – Breath,Accept and Move on.

24 Brandy @insanemamacita April 30, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Congrats girlie! 18lbs is an awesome accomplishment!

I love your rewards. You are so close to your next one!

And I thought you were following Weight Watchers?

25 Julia May 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

Congrats! That’s quite an accomplishment! Many trainers advise cutting out similar things in an effort to “eat clean”. The only problem with things being so restrictive is that it gets old. Real old. Real quick. The body needs carbs to fuel it, the best source being complex carbs. I would suggest adding more fiber (sounds terrible it really isn’t!) some studies show that getting 30 or more grams a day will block 20% of calories from being absorbed… Check out hungry girl: http://www.hungrygirl.com for recipes. She also converts everything to WW points. Also make sure you are getting enough protein as most women don’t. This was rather dull but I sincerely hope it helps! (anything to get to that handbag more quickly!)

26 Dave May 30, 2012 at 8:12 am

Great job! I would stick with the low carb personally. If it ain’t broke why fix it, right? Or try to incorporate a higher carb meal direct after some good exercise. It never seems to add on weight then, rather it will aid in muscle recuperation.