Jul

Dirty Books For The Ladies – Part Three

by MARIA on July 5, 2012

This post is brought to you by Ryan Gosling – just because.

You may or may not love the 50 Shades of Grey books, but regardless, they’ve clearly helped catapult erotica and romance reading back into the mainstream spotlight lately.

I don’t actually have any stats to back this up by the way, but it’s all people seem to be reading these days.

Also probably not true – I just personally know many a pervert.

Anywhooooo….

Hopefully, you’ve read my first and second posts about some smuterotica to read (and the scary ones to avoid). I’ve had fun reviewing some of these books (my husband has too and he hasn’t had to read a damn thing.) As I’ve said before, I’m a fast reader, so I can easily read one of these in a couple of hours or so. When I get back into the workforce, I’m going to list that under talents no one needs to know about.

So here are some recent ones I’ve read – I will tell you that none of these will make your eyeballs bleed or run in search of a brain exorcism. I would say they qualify as more romance than smuterotica, but with just the right amount of dirty.

The Sullivans Series by Bella Andre

These include: The Look of Love (Book 1), From This Moment On (Book 2), Can’t Help Falling in Love (Book 3), I Only Have Eyes For You (Book 4) and If You Were Mine (Book 5), with Book 6 coming in the fall. These books are about some very wealthy (they are always wealthy), good looking (always hot) siblings that are part of the Sullivan family. Each book follows one of the siblings who fall for an equally hot individual who they never thought they would end up with, but they were just that irresistible. Yes, they all follow the exact same formula, but then many of these books do so if you enjoy this genre, I’m sure you’ve come to grips with this already. Nothing in these books will make you want to throw the book across the room (ie. Comfort Object syndrome as I call it), so that’s a plus. They’re actually well written, and sweet and cheesy and just the right amount of dirty, so you should read them.

About Last Night by Ruthie Knox

I really liked this book. It’s the story of Cath and City (rich hot guy – yes they are all rich hot guys). I like the way they meet, I like the family dynamic and I really like that City is a closet artist. I don’t want to give any of it away but City reminds me of Colin Firth, and if you know me at all, you know Colin and I go way back. Ruthie Knox is a great writer and I love that she wrote Cath as a strong, independent, somewhat damaged but really creative and smart woman. This is a must read.

Ride With Me by Ruthie Knox

I enjoyed Ruthie’s book so much that I looked to see if she had any others in print, and found Ride With Me. This one is about Tom, a HOT DUDE on a bike who rides the TransAmerica Trail with a female companion that his sister finds for him online. Again, I don’t want to give too much away but I can tell you this: there should be at least one motorcycle storyline in every dirty book out there. There is no denying it  - bad boys are hot. Rich bad boys – very hot.  Rich, hot bad boys – only found in a book so enjoy them while you can.

The Redhead Series by Alice Clayton

The Unidentified Redhead and The Redhead Revealed (a third is on the way) are FUNNY which sold me right away. These are the most realistic romance, smuterotica that I’ve read so far. I may have laughed out loud a few times which thoroughly confused my husband, proven when he asked “Are you reading smut that is actually funny?” Yes, yes I am. These are a great read, and make sure to check back because I’ll have an upcoming review/giveaway on my blog soon!

The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning

I actually read this series because Alice Clayton (yes, we’re besties now) suggested I read them on Twitter. There are five books in the series: DarkFever, BloodFever, FaeFever, DreamFever and ShadowFever. Personally, I would not consider these erotica or even romance, although there are elements of both in some parts of some of the books. I would definitely say it fits more of a fantasy/mystery genre, with some dirty creature sexy time thrown in. If you’re into creatures and such, you will really enjoy this series.

So tell me – have you read any good romance smuterotica lately??

1 Angie [A Whole Lot of Nothing] July 5, 2012 at 12:29 am

Smuterotica…FUCK YEAH!

You and me? We’re totally in a triad of BFFing with Alice.

2 MARIA July 5, 2012 at 12:31 am

It’s a MENAGE!!

3 Linda July 5, 2012 at 12:45 am

Ill check these out! I think it’s so funny that people are so shocked that “50 shades of grey” has so much sex. There are romance novels in any fiction area of a book store and some are just as bad. I’ll admit that not all have some of the toys mentioned in the 50 shades series but the sex it’s self is still there and in many books just often! Maybe it’s just because I’m a book worm that I know this. Haha

4 Teresa I. July 5, 2012 at 10:00 am

I’m reading the Sullivan series now. Might I suggest The Firefighters of Station Five series by Jo Davis and the Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter?
Have you read the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J R Ward?
I read the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning and wouldn’t put it on your Dirty Books list. But I definitely would put in her Highlander series.

5 MARIA July 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I’m noting the Firefighters series and adding it to the list. I’ve heard of Black Dagger but they’re vampires, right? Not really my thing.

6 Michelle July 7, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Awesome rec’s, I have actually been wondering if I’m into the genre or if its just the fifty shades that I found decent. I wanted to look into more but have had no idea where to start so thanks for that!

7 MARIA July 9, 2012 at 11:49 am

Thanks Michelle!!

8 Patricia July 10, 2012 at 6:27 am

Did u ever end up getting through beautiful disaster? I recently picked it up and am wondering what I’m n for…lol

9 MARIA July 10, 2012 at 8:53 am

I didn’t – couldn’t get into it.

10 Shannon September 2, 2012 at 7:12 pm

You MUST read “The Masters of the Shadowlands” by Cherise Sinclair. If you haven’t read them yet push them up on the list. Perfect mix of erotica and story

11 Laura October 19, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Came across your blog when I was seaching for something to read while I’m waiting on Crossfire #3 to come out…. :)

Ok…so you’ve stated you’re not into vamp type things…..but for anyone who is, try Joey W Hill’s Vampire series (there’s a whole bunch)…..also, on the non vampy side, her Knight’s of the Boardroom series is fantastic! (they might be hard to find in print, but I’m pretty sure you can find them all for ereaders). She writes BDSM stuff, but it’s seriously HOT.

Lauren Dane is another fave author of mine….great storylines….and steamy smuttiness :) Her sci-fy/future series (Phantom Corps and Federation Chronicles) are a definate must, as well as her Brown Siblings series (which has started a spin-off as well).

Maya Banks’ Sweet Series is a nice read….not really into her historical stuff, but I like the Sweet series and KGI

Jaci Burton…..her Play-byPlay series is hot….who doesn’t like jocks who know how to rock the bed? ;) And also her Wild Riders….hot guys, hot motorcycles….do I need to say more? She has some other non-series books are are great too.

Sylvia Day, as mentioned, is fantastic…..I even read her historical ones and I loved them.

I haven’t read 50 Shades, and really don’t plan on it….

As someone else mentioned….Gena Showalter is a great read. KMM I love…though for steamy stuff, definately go for her Highlander series. Ward’s BDB series is a great read…..though again, it deals with vampires, though not in the usual way (and nothing Twilight-y either!)

Kresley Cole is at the top of my lists for authors….not real steamy, but great storylines, and ones that I can never seem to put down even when I really should be doing something else….

Anyways, thought I’d add some of my faves to the list…..I’ll be sure to check some of yours out!

12 MARIA October 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions Laura.

And, I agree – Maya Banks is fantastic. REad the sweet series and thought it was great.

13 amy January 2, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I recently discovered a new author M.Leighton. Definitely check out “Down to you” and “Wild Ones”. Her stories are only about 180 pages but fun reads.

14 MARIA January 4, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Thanks Amy! Haven’t read anything by her but will add her to my list!