So much to say, but first a little introductory blurb from iTunes:
“Director Tim Burton brings the cult classic series “Dark Shadows” to the big screen in a film featuring an all-star cast, led by Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Helena Bonham Carter. In the year 1750, Joshua and Naomi Collins, with young son Barnabas, set sail from England to start a new life in America, where they build a fishing empire in the coastal Maine town that comes to carry their name: Collinsport. Two decades pass and Barnabas (Johnny Depp) has the world at his feet…until he makes the grave mistake of falling in love with a beauty named Josette DuPres (Bella Heathcote) and breaking the heart of Angelique Bouchard (Eva Green). Angelique dooms him to a fate worse than death-turning him into a vampire, and then burying him alive. Nearly two centuries later, Barnabas is inadvertently freed from his tomb and emerges into the very changed world of 1972, a stranger in an even stranger time.”
I sat down to watch this knowing nothing except that it was another Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movie. However, being a fan of their past movies (especially Sleepy Hollow), I knew I would enjoy its campiness, quirky fun nature that is a guarantee when you’re watching a Tim Burton flick.
Reasons to Watch:
– As usual, Johnny Depp is fantastic. He totally transforms into this vampire – the makeup is incredible and he is believable as Barnabus Collins, right down to the way he moves his hands.
– Bella Heathcote (she plays Victoria & Josette) is gorgeous and has this very billowy, eerie look about her that is perfect for her characters (think Shelley Duvall in The Shining). This is the first thing I’ve seen her in, and I can’t wait to see more – perfectly cast.
– The movie is just gorgeous to watch (signature Tim Burton) and dark and fun. I think it’s the perfect Halloween flick too, especially for someone who isn’t much of a horror/slasher flick fan.
I will tell you that although it is pegged as a comedy, I didn’t necessarily find it that funny. There were three different instances where I chuckled (yes I chuckle sometimes) but I can understand why this one would be difficult to absolutely peg into one specific genre.
Favorite Line of the Movie: “How soon can the horses be ready?” “We don’t have horses. We have a Chevy.”
Watch it or not? WATCH it, especially if you’re a Tim Burton fan and/or if you love Johnny Depp. The husband and I both gave it a 7 out of 10.
I have one DVD/Blu-ray/Digital copy of Dark Shadows for one lucky winner!! Just leave me a comment below telling me your favorite Johnny Depp movie!
For an additional, totally optional entry, follow my BOREDMommy FB page (or let me know if you do) and leave a comment below.
- Open to Canadian Residents only
- Winner will be chosen using Random.org
- Giveaway ends Tuesday, October 9, 2012.
CONGRATS TO #13 – INSANE MAMACITA!! Thanks to everyone who entered! More DVD giveaways to come!!