Rock of Ages is just a FUN movie!
“In 1987 Los Angeles at the height of glam rock, infamous and outrageous rock star Stacee Jaxx performs at Hollywood’s legendary Bourbon Room club as it faces its final countdown. Meanwhile, an aspiring musician and a small town girl meet pursuing their dreams of music fame. The story unfolds through high energy dancing and heart-pounding hits of Def Leppard, Joan Jett, Journey, Foreigner, Night Ranger, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Poison, Whitesnake and more.”
I watched this with the husband who groaned the minute he realized it was a musical (ahem…I didn’t realize it was a musical before watching either). However, he watched the entire thing with me and I caught him singing along a few times too.
Reasons to Watch:
- GREAT CAST: For the most part (sorry Julianne Hough & Catherine Zeta Jones – not a fan), I really like the cast. Mary J. Blige, Alec Baldwin (love him and yes he SINGS in this), Russel Brand, Malin Akerman and Paul Giammati were great.
- Tom Cruise transforms into this rock god and I was surprised that he was SO GOOD at it.
- For those who lived the 80s (not me because I am SO young – not really), the references from the clothes to the bad hair to the huge cell phones and cell phone carrying BAGS are hilarious. How could the 80s be so hideous and hilarious at the same time?
- The absolute best thing about this movie is the MUSIC. You cannot help but sing along to every song, and yes you will know all the words. It’s big haired, sweaty leather, karaoke – good times.
- There was actually a moment when one of the characters reminded me of Andrew Ridgeley and George Michael, and all I could think was, oh how I miss Wham. (We all miss Wham, no?)
So will this flick win an Oscar? Nope (most won’t actually) but it’s a fun rental. Yes it’s weird that Alec Baldwin sings in this movie, but then even weirder things happen (in this movie – no spoilers). Also, I now have a girl crush on Malin Akerman – wowza. And Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise) wears a studded codpiece that will make you pause the movie and get close to the screen to figure out what exactly you’re looking at. Yes, my husband asked me what the hell I was doing. “Research of course” was my answer.
Best Line of the Movie:
Sherrie: I’m a stripper at the Venus Club. Drew: I’m in a boy band. Sherrie: You win.
Watch it or not? WATCH it if you want to relive the 80s, sing some rock songs, and see Tom Cruise, his tight pants and his codpiece.
ROCK OF AGES IS OUT NOW!!
I have one Blu-ray Combo Pack for one lucky winner!! Just leave me a comment below telling me your favorite song from the 80s. If you’re too young to remember the 80s, I’m sorry but we can’t be friends.
For an additional, totally optional entry, tweet this: Enter to win a Rock of Ages Bluray combo pack on @BOREDMommy ‘s blog! http://bit.ly/T7i9W6 #giveaway #canwin and leave a comment below telling me you did.
- Open to Canadian Residents only
- Winner will be chosen using Random.org
- PLEASE make sure to leave your Twitter name and/or email so that I can reach you if you win! (Also for stalking purposes)
- Giveaway ends Wednesday, October 17, 2012.
UPDATE: CONGRATS to: tennille (#9) – Thanks to everyone who entered!!