I was invited to take part in the Microsoft Canada #SummerSwitch Challenge this summer. So, I’ve put aside my beloved iPhone 4 aside (we sleep together, seriously) to test out the Nokia Lumia 920 phone Windows 8 phone.
As someone who uses both Microsoft and Apple products on a daily basis, I thought it would be a great opportunity to finally try out the Windows 8 platform.
- IT’S SO FLUFFY!!! Translation: Super nice looking phone.
- It’s big with a nice big screen! I LOVE the 4.5″ screen – especially for watching videos or movies.
- The phone is so adaptable to your needs that the setting up of the phone is really half the fun. That sounds super dorky I suppose, but dorky is so in right now.
- The back button may be the best thing ever invented for a phone. I LOVE it and use it constantly. Seriously, it is fantastic.
- It’s definitely heavier than my iPhone.
My favorite things about this phone so far:
- The camera on this phone takes amazing photos and with the numerous apps available with the camera, you can get some amazing results.
- The speaker volume on this phone is nice and loud which I really appreciate – I can watch videos and movies using the Vevo and Netflix apps (LOVE) and the sound is clear and loud (old lady hearing requirement).
- Again, the back button is definitely a favorite – use it all the time.
- As a blogger using WordPress, the WordPress app is excellent and you could easily blog from your phone using it – love that.
- Kid’s Corner is such a great option if you have kids – it allows you to create a separate area on your phone for your kids that will amuse them with fun apps, while keeping your phone totally separate. It is such a great idea and my kids use it as the reason they keep stealing the phone because they believe it gives them about 40% ownership. Kids are so cute.
As someone who uses Twitter and Facebook every single day, the absolute best thing about this phone for me is the PEOPLE and PHOTO section. The PHOTO section not only holds the photos you take with the camera but also compiles all your photos that you have in your Facebook, Twitter and any other accounts that you’ve set up on your phone, into different albums. In the PEOPLE section, each contact appears with all their contact info but also shows their updates (from FB, etc) and allows you text, email and call them from their contact page. Also in the PEOPLE section, you can use the Family Room section to invite people and then privately share your calendars, photos, group chats and notes in one place – very, very cool feature.
I’ve only scratched the surface of all the cool features on this phone. Next post, I’ll explore some more including the XBOX features that are a gamer’s dream!!
Disclosure: The Nokia 920 Windows 8 phone was given to me to use for the Microsoft Canada #summerswitch Challenge, and I will receive compensation for my participation. Regardless, all opinions are my own.