Nov

We Bought A House!

by MARIA on November 14, 2013

Have you ever done anything so spur of the moment that it’s almost hard to believe it actually happened?

Me too.

I bought a house.

I saw a house, went to see the house, put in an offer, negotiated it and it was mine within a day.

Did I mention the husband was in Vegas “working?”

Did I mention that it’s across the street from where I live now? Or perhaps that we move in, in the dead of winter and it’s going to be damn cold carrying all my heavy furniture across the street?

Sometimes you see something and you just have to have it. Like a sweater, or a pair of shoes. Or a house.

Our home now is where we’ve lived for the last 12 years. I’ve brought my babies home here, and raised them here, laughed and cried here. Every inch of this house is marked by a memory, an event, an experience and I’m trying to get over that or I may never be able to actually move out. But then again, I have no choice.

We’ve already sold our house. We listed it and that same night, it was sold to a sweet young couple. We sold in a day, we bought in a day. It was meant to be. Of course, our new best friend Krishan (Best. Realtor. Ever.) was amazing and had everything to do with how quickly everything happened. We owe him expensive whiskey and many Greek desserts.

We live in an established, quiet neighbourhood with big trees and great neighbours (well, most are great – we tend to avoid the annoying ones). So the house we bought is not new, and it needs work but the bones are there. It needs A LOT of paint (every surface, everywhere), floor refinishing, new light fixtures, and a sense of humour for starters. Starting over in a new old house is exciting and overwhelming at the same time but we’re excited.

I’m thinking about posting about our new house and our attempts to make it fab, from time to time. I promise not to claim to be anything but a regular schmo trying to make my house less ugly. Making My House Less Ugly – I think I just thought of the name for all my house related posts!

Look for my next post titled….Packing is Going to Suck.

1 Shawna G November 14, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Congrats Maria! Now I do want to know did you at least call your husband while he was in Vegas?

2 MARIA November 14, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I called him and let him know it was happening. I emailed the MLS and then bought it. He saw it when he came home a few days later. Honestly, buying a house is so much easier when only one person is involved. :)

3 Chantal November 14, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Congrats!

4 MARIA November 15, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Thanks Chantal!

5 Sandy November 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm

YAY! Congratulations! I moved across the street once, trust me — no matter what anyone tells you: you still need to hire movers (or friends and family) just because it’s “only across the street” doesn’t mean it’s going to be any easier. I can’t wait to read about your new adventure. :)

6 MARIA November 15, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I know – I’m scared! And the snow will be a lovely addition to the experience I’m sure! Thanks Sandy.

7 dee brun November 15, 2013 at 9:22 am

Oh this post so sounds like me…We did the same thing with the house we are in now…And when in the last house I said it was my ‘forever’ house..HA…but this one is..no dount my ‘forever’ house…I swear…

CONGRATS can’t wait to see the ‘less ugly’ begin! Cheers

8 MARIA November 15, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Thanks so much Dee!!

9 Kathy November 15, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Congratulations! I really look forward to seeing your house posts.

10 MARIA November 15, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Thanks so much Kathy!

11 Kate (This Mom Loves) November 22, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Wow – that’s a pretty spontaneous move, and it’s definitely a big deal to leave the home where you raised your babies – memories indeed. But how exciting! We built our home on my in-laws’ farm, so while I fantasize about starting over in another house, I think we’re pretty rooted where we are. I will just live vicariously through you. Good luck!