I’m going to BlogHer.
Let me give you a moment to celebrate. And by you, I mean me. *Celebration in progress.”
I know, right?
Awesome. I’m crazy excited.
In case you happen to see someone who maybe, could possibly be me, you should probably know that I don’t look like my avatar anymore, because I’m aged and robustacular. I’m okay with that – because number one, I love that picture of myself, and two, I am pure awesome on the inside. So there.
Now that we’ve straightened that out.
7 days until Blogher 2010.
This is my first BlogHer conference.
Actually, this is my first trip, without my kids, in 7 YEARS. Its my first trip without my husband in 10, and its actually the first trip I’ve ever taken with friends. EVER – and I’m OLD, people! I clearly don’t get out much.
This may also explain the crazy, perma-joker smile that I will be wearing all weekend. If you think I’m drunk, I’m not. I’m just REALLY, REALLY happy not to have to wipe butt for four days straight.
Truth is, I may not want to go home on Sunday. The BlogHer people might have to have me removed when I decide to stage a sit-in. I’ll be the one handcuffed to the Starbucks in the front lobby. Feel free to join me.
It could happen.
By the way, you probably have realized by now that this isn’t one of those Blogher posts that will actually help you prepare in any way. However, I might be able to confirm a few things for you.
- There will be women there. Millions and millions of fantastic women. Also, a few dudes.
- You will need to bring a cardigan – because cardigans make the world go round.
- Every other store front is a Starbucks, so you will definitely be covered in the caffeine front.
- Don’t wear your cute shoes for too long. Pain trumps cute every time. So not fair. Perhaps you can carry them around for a more bohemian tribute to the pretty.
- Make sure you eat at least one cupcake and one black & white while you’re in NYC or you won’t be allowed to board the plane.
- If you see Colin Firth, I better be with you.
- Don’t leave NYC without getting a Colin Firth tattoo. This one is more for me actually, so carry on.
And now, a little head’s up about me.
- I am mostly, if not always, smiling. On the inside. If you see me, and I’m not smiling, its because I’m doing algorithms in my head, or thinking dirty thoughts. Either way, very smiley.
- I am a hugger and/or a hand shaker and/or a double and triple cheek kisser, depending on your culture. I am adaptable in my hellos.
- I have the worst memory on the planet, unless it involves useless information. I will probably forget your name during our conversation, but I can always tell you about something random that I heard about 4 years ago, especially if it involves a trashy celebrity.
- I never forget a face. Seriously – never. So if you catch me staring at you, I’m not giving you the stink eye, or the evil eye (which every Greek has perfected in their lifetime – yes that’s your warning) – I’m just trying to place you.
- If you catch me staring at your ass, your boobs, your outfit, or someone else’s, it’s because I like your outfit, may attempt to replicate it in the future and probably envy how tiny your butt is. But in a good way – I promise.
- I will not be wearing a dress, to any event or any party!
- I might come off shy in the beginning. Seriously. Bashful is so in right now.
- If you feel the need to learn some dirty Greek words, come find me. I will have an arsenal at the ready.
- If you happen to bring your baby, I may feel the need to come say hello, talk baby talk, or perhaps even hold your baby? Do not be afraid! I am good people.
- I don’t do drama, especially on a fab trip to NYC. If drama occurs, I will be that person, who suddenly doesn’t speak English, and is walking away in the opposite direction.
Don’t you feel more prepared! I’m so glad. Can’t wait to see you in New York City!!
I do want to give a little shout out to an event that I am hosting while in NYC. It started out as a dinner, and has developed into something way fabulous. So a huge thank you to our title sponsor – GM Canada – and all of our swag sponsors for the DinHer event. I am thrilled with how it has turned out, and quite frankly, nothing makes me happier than planning something that makes other people happy. I am adding new sponsors everyday, with no end in sight. So thank you to everyone involved!!