We are official back to school and back to our fall routine, finally. I love summer and summer break but by the end of the summer, I am ready to be back to a more scheduled lifestyle. Mommy needs a break. Plus it’s cardigan weather and who doesn’t love a cardigan???
Over the summer we watched a ton of movies and shows with the kids whenever we wanted. During the school year however, we watch our movies mostly on the weekends. On Fridays, we have pizza and a movie night. We make homemade personal pizzas then choose/fight over which movie to watch.
(Side Note: Here is the yummiest, easiest personal pan pizza recipe ever. We use Naan bread as the crust, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and then whatever toppings you want, from pepperoni to peppers, and then throw it in the oven at 350. The kids love making their own pizza, they cook super fast because you’re using Naan as the crust and they’re delicious and healthy). I’m a regular Martha Stewart.
Unless it’s a movie that was just released, Netflix is always our go-to for movie night. Thankfully, the kids are older now so they’re much more open to watching documentaries, and classics and John Hughes films. Honestly, re-watching great movies like Ferris Bueller or Mean Girls is so much more fun when you can watch it through your kids’ eyes. I don’t even feel THAT old when I do.
My favourite thing to do for movie night lately is something I did as a kid with my siblings. I move the coffee table out of the way, and make a huge bed on the floor, with several duvets and comforters and pillows. We turn out all the lights and grab some snacks and it’s officially movie time. It’s simple but the kids love it, which makes me love it too.
So what are some of the movies we’ve seen so far, that we really enjoyed?
- Zootopia – LOVE it. It’s adorable and clever and really funny.
- He Named Me Malala – Absolutely fantastic documentary. A must see.
- The Little Prince – This is actually a new release and not on Netflix yet but it was so so good. We rented it and the kids watched it three times before the rental time ran out.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens – A huge hit in our house for all of us.
- Teen Titans Go! – Not a movie, but my kids are obsessed with this show.
- I Am Big Bird – LOVE LOVE LOVE.
And some movies that are on the MUST SEE LIST coming up this month include:
- The Breakfast Club – it’s time to share this movie gold with the tweens for sure.
- Splash – Tom Hanks and a mermaid. Enough said.
- Zoolander – This one is a maybe – I haven’t seen it so I’m not sure if it’s appropriate.
- Coraline – Perfect for a Halloween re-watch – both kids think it’s totally freaky.
HAPPY MOVIE WATCHING!!