Let me put this out there – I’m no Martha.
Martha being Martha Stewart – the goddess of all things.
However, I do try – sometimes successfully, and sometimes, not so much.
So, when I found out that I was one of the finalists in the Black & Decker Ultimate Sandwich Contest, I was really excited and slightly nervous. My usual turkey sandwich or grilled cheese wasn’t going to cut it this time. So I thought about it for a while, and even brainstormed with my husband – a man who will try anything once, and always goes the exciting route. (Yes, I’m that person that usually orders the same thing on the menu – every time. Yawn.) And then, it came to me!!!
One of the main requirements for the contest was that I had to use the Black & Decker Convection Countertop Oven when making my sandwich. So before I get into my sandwich recipe, let me tell you a bit about this fab machine. It’s really handy – you can broil, bake, toast and keep your food warm in it. It’s not as big as I expected actually, smaller than a microwave, and fits nicely on the countertop. It includes a bake pan and a removable crumb tray, and has tons of additional features including,
- a 60-‐minute timer
- Variable temperature controls
- A Maximum bake temperature: 450˚F/230˚C
- A Dual-‐position rack
- A Power indicator light
- A Stay-‐on feature
- A Ready signal bell
- An Easy-‐view glass door
- A 2-‐year limited warranty
You can cook many different things in the Black & Decker Convection Countertop oven, including chicken, fish, SANDWICHES, fries, and even pizza (it can fit a 9″ pizza). In the summer months, when turning on the oven is less than appealing, this little oven is a great appliance to have. It will be available at Walmart Canada this month.
And now, onto MY ULTIMATE SANDWICH – I give you the BORED Mommy BBLT.
The Bacon Brie Lettuce and Tomato sandwich.
It sounds simple, but its deliciousness is in the details. I promise.
Here’s what I used: (yields two sandwiches)
- Ace Bakery Rustic Italian Oval loaf – 4 slices
- one hothouse tomato – sliced
- romaine lettuce – 4 leaves
- reduced fat naturally smoked bacon – 4 slices
- french brie cheese – 4 slices
- extra virgin olive oil – 1 tbsp.
- AND President’s Choice Roasted Garlic Mayo spread – 1 tbsp
Now let’s make the sandwich!
1. Preheat the Black & Decker Convection Countertop Oven for 5 minutes on BROIL. Oh, and remember to actually turn on the machine – staring at it doesn’t make the thing turn on. I know that now.
2. While the oven is preheating, cook the bacon. Cook the bacon to your preferred crispness – for me it’s really crispy. Remove the bacon and let it bask in its glory, while you get everything else ready. Also, bacon makes the world go round – but I’m sure you already know that.
3. Prepare your other ingredients as well. Slice the tomato, wash and dry the lettuce, slice the brie, and slice the bread. Also have your olive oil and garlic roasted spread ready. This can of course be done ahead of time, but I’m a procrastinator – even when making a sandwich.
4. Take the two slices of bread, and brush on some extra virgin olive oil on both sides. Put the bread into the oven on the slide tray, and toast. After approximately two minutes, flip the bread and toast the other side. It took about two minutes per side to get it as crispy as I like it, but of course this is up to you.
5. Remove the toasted bread and it’s time to assemble the BBLT!
6. On one slice of the bread, place two slices of tomato, topped with two slices of bacon, and two slices of brie.
7. Place this back into the oven to broil and melt the brie, for approximately one minute.
8. Remove it carefully from the oven (the oven is hot of course, so use caution).
9. On the other slice of bread, spread the President’s Choice roasted garlic spread. Add the romaine lettuce, and your sandwich is done!
10. Slice in half, and eat the best thing ever.
Seriously, the gooeyness of the brie with the crispy bacon, fresh bread, lettuce, tomato and garlicky spread is DIVINE. Sometimes the best things in life are the simplest – a BLT is one of life’s little pleasures, but a BBLT a la BORED Mommy is pure YUM. I cannot lie, I can’t wait to make this again.
I do believe I am officially one degree closer to Martha.
But don’t just ask me, ask this guy. The guy who eats nothing I make him without having to douse it in some type of condiment. This time? He could not stop eating it, and eating it as is!!
Disclosure: I created this post as part of the Black & Decker Ultimate Sandwich contest as part of a Mom Central Canada program. I received a Convection Countertop Oven Courtesy of Applica Canada Corporation, exclusive licensee of Black & Decker Home. The opinions on this blog are my own.