Next up, the powder room! The powder room is just off the front hall and like the front hall, it was a good size and didn’t need a lot of work short-term.
We knew that some of the renos we were planning to do would be mostly cosmetic, at least in the short term and the powder room was one of them. We never considered keeping the wallpaper, although at one point we were planning to have new paper hung but it wasn’t meant to be.
Here’s what was on the powder room short term list and our yet to complete long term list:
SHORT TERM TO DOs:
- Remove wallpaper with questionable stains. DONE
- Remove towel bar. DONE
- Remove useless fan and drywall over it. DONE
- Remove wall cabinet. DONE
- Replace register cover. DONE
- Replace switch/outlet. DONE
- Paint walls, trim, ceiling. DONE
- Replace light fixture. DONE
- Remove and replace mirror. DONE
- Replace knobs on cabinet. DONE
- Hang towel ring for hand towel. DONE
- Buy and hang art. DONE
- Buy basket(s) to fill bottom of cabinet with reading material for the husband. DONE
LONG TERM TO DOs:
- Replace wood flooring with porcelain tile. I find the wood flooring in the room just bizarre, although it does hide the fact that my son can’t seem to aim into the toilet to save his live, quite nicely.
- Replace cabinet/sink.
Here is what our powder room looked like the day we got the house.
I didn’t totally despise the wallpaper but it’s just not my style at all and the questionable stains on the paper just grossed me out completely. As mentioned, we were planning on wallpapering the powder room and had even purchased the paper. However, after thinking about it, and considering everything from budget to time frame, we decided against it. Instead, last minute, we decided to paint it a dark grey, the same as our bedroom. Here’s where the powder room is right now:
And here’s a little side by side comparison for you as well.
I’m planning to spray paint the soap bottle a fun color and add a plant in the space next to the cabinet which is actually pretty big. Long term I’m thinking gut job, but that’s really not a priority right now.
What do you think of the transformation?? If you have any questions, let me know below! Next up, the kitchen.