Mushrooms are rich in many vital nutrients like riboflavin, potassium, etc. It is rich in the best antioxidants and nutrients that are catered to keep your body’s organs healthy and functional. But are mushrooms keto-friendly? While many people may spread many myths and rumors about restricting certain types of food, such as mushrooms in the keto diet, we have finally configured the correct answer. Let’s unleash the truth today and understand whether you can consume mushrooms in your keto diet or not.
Can you eat mushrooms on your keto diet?
Yes. Mushrooms are simply fungus that comprises 92% water, 4% carbs, 2% protein, and 1% fats. Thus, one cup of mushroom will provide you with 2 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber. It is rich in many vital nutrients like Vitamin B, niacin, Vitamin B5, folate, selenium, and many more. It helps in detoxifying your liver and making your overall body healthy.
Benefits of eating mushrooms on a keto diet
There are tons of benefits of eating mushrooms in your keto diet. Let’s count a few:
- Mushrooms are full of flavor yet extremely low in calories. This keeps you full for a longer period of time yet not exceeding your everyday calorie intake, which is great for weight loss.
- It controls your blood glucose levels and the risk of diabetes.
- Mushrooms offer excellent nutrients to the body, which contribute to slowing down the signs of aging in individuals. The antioxidants like glutathione and ergothioneine can significantly help your body fight against oxidative stress.
- Mushrooms have abundant vitamin D, which helps in strengthening your bones and teeth.
- Mushrooms are good for your heart health and reduce the risks of heart diseases.
- Mushrooms reduce the risks of Alzheimer’s disease or epilepsy in the long run.
Keto-friendly mushroom recipe ideas
You can incorporate mushrooms in many dishes and still stay under the keto diet. Here are some tasty mushroom dish ideas which you can try this week and treat your taste buds! However, ensure to keep the carb intake low while preparing these dishes.
- Mushroom chips
- Pepperoni pizza frittata
- Keto beef stroganoff
- Parmesan garlic oven-roasted mushrooms
- Low carb Asian noodle bowl
- Sausage stuffed mushrooms
- Green leafy salads
- Scrambled eggs with mushrooms
- Grilled low carb sandwich
- Keto burger patties
- Low carb mushroom soup
And many more…
The Keto diet may sound highly complex and restricting, but don’t let the diet gurus fool you. There are plenty of resources you can search on the internet that can help with your research about the types of food items you should consume and avoid in your keto diet. However, mushrooms are definitely not one of them. Being one of the tastiest veggies ever, it is an excellent addition to every possible dish and can transform the flavor to a significant level. You can consume mushrooms in any way until the calorie intake is considered. People often go overboard with their mushroom consumption while adding it to other dishes. Beware of overeating or excessive consumption of mushrooms since it can do more harm than good in your keto journey. Thus, get your favorite mushrooms from the local store today and treat yourself to some amazing mushroom recipes!